Waiting to be found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is quite a bit of money to be made on those.

You bring them and I'll fix them 8)

Keep one each and sell the rest.

There is quite a bit of money to be made on those.

You bring them and I'll fix them 8)

Keep one each and sell the rest.

Hey - I spoke to people about trying to bring them back and said the same thing - a lot of talk, no action.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade - I could have one of those flying in no time - that's all I wanted out of the deal - one flyable aircraft.

Any idea where you found that photo? I was at that base for about a week surveying UH-1s for a contract my company was bidding on. There were also T-41s and Maules there as well.

Kingtiger, I'll trade you the warbirds for those panzers you have lying around! :lol:

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 208
Hey - I spoke to people about trying to bring them back and said the same thing - a lot of talk, no action.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade - I could have one of those flying in no time - that's all I wanted out of the deal - one flyable aircraft.

Any idea where you found that photo? I was at that base for about a week surveying UH-1s for a contract my company was bidding on. There were also T-41s and Maules there as well.

I'm an aircraft mechanic too 8)

Here is where i found the pics:

http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryBirddog12.html

Been trying to get them on Google earth.

According to this site

'TANGO SQUADRON'

They are on Saraburi Aero Park N14 26 29 E101 00 54

But i see none there.

What about what happened with the Northrop YB-35's and YB-49's, amazing aircraft (albeit operational failures) and all scrapped (forcibly iirc) by the USAF.

Just sad, though at least Planes of Fame saved the N9M, and it's still flying!!!

But having a YB-35 or YB-49 would have be amazing to see... =(

An interesting note: The YB-49 and B-2, both built by Northrop, have the same wingspan, down to the exact inch, 172.0 ft (52.40 m).

Attachments

• yb-49_3.jpg
    yb-49_3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 235
What about what happened with the Northrop YB-35's and YB-49's, amazing aircraft (albeit operational failures) and all scrapped (forcibly iirc) by the USAF.

Just sad, though at least Planes of Fame saved the N9M, and it's still flying!!!

But having a YB-35 or YB-49 would have be amazing to see... =(

An interesting note: The YB-49 and B-2, both built by Northrop, have the same wingspan, down to the exact inch, 172.0 ft (52.40 m).

I did not know that!

However, I'll bet there's a huge performance difference (well, that's a "no-brainer", isn't it?); I'm guessing the B-2 will easily carry twice the payload (if not more) at probably four times the distance . . . . . and it's stealthy! However, I'll bet they both fly at around the same speed (subsonic; ~500 mph).

Wow the pictures early on are amazing, all those planes.

I know a local aero museum needs help with restoration projects in particular a Catalina battle veteran. It was house boat!

Australian National Aviation Museum - Catalina

The hull was ballasted with concrete which is currently being cleaned out gradually. Note the wheel house thats in the nose.

I intend to joing this museum to lend a hand once I get a chance to zip down there.

A lot of work on that Cat, but great someone is doing it.

Pretty cool houseboat too. At least somebody looked after it a bit.

Will it fly again, or is it for static use?

I did minor structural work on a Cat once and would jump at the chance to help. Unfortunatly I'm in Denmark......

Good luck with it, i will make sure to browse the site now and again, to see the progress.

BTW I will post some more Kingman air field pics soon.

This is Walnut ridge war asset storage.

WalnutRidgeStorage.jpg

Not sure where this it.

image.jpg

I've only helped with one restoration, drilling out the rivets in the fuel tanks of a TBF-1c Avenger in NZ, but it would be great to be a part of a Cat restoration alright. She's a beautiful aircraft!

Nearly all of them became pots and pans. There were aircraft flewn straight from the assembly line to the storage area, its a pain to think about it.

Some were sold to post-war airlines, or handed over to allied countries as air force help. Those airline/air force planes have mostly been tracked down and are either restored (museum or flying), or scrapped at a later date.

I posted earlier about Paul Mantz buying 475 mixed warbirds for $55.000.
As far as i know, he kept some as movie props and scrapped the rest.

The worst thing is, that some storage places (not just the states) only actually scrapped their planes in the late 60's and early 70's - just as the warbird scene really got started.

Right now I'm looking for info on an Indonesian site (used by USAF), where they only scrapped their planes in the 80's (maybe late 70's).

There are also still at least two B-29 hulks at China lake, but they are pretty messed up. I will try to find China lake pics from the 60's, back then they had loads of B-29's in fair condition.

Even with all the scrapped aircrafts, there are still enough for those who has the money to keep them flying. The world actually don't really need 170.000 more warbirds :D

I hope that some are still out there, on farms, in forests, in barns. Hidden away and waiting their turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back