War thunder community? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm wondering how difficult to hack the game and show up in a 1903 Wright Flyer that has the performance of an F-14?

Last edited:
With the Microsoft CFS flight simulators, there really needs to be nearly no association between the visual model and the flight model.
Just about everything can be modified which is why I like those simulators. They give great flexibility in fixing things and learning about how things work if that is your intention and it is mine.

As for War Thunder, I watch a video or two once in a while when I get really bored. The planes look cool but the game is unrealistic in so many ways that I am just not interested. If I remember correctly, the Kawasaki Ki 61 can be flown as an AMERICAN fighter? In what kind of universe would that make sense?

Regarding the merits of Linux. I have had several Linux boxes in my house over the years. I currently have none operational. I had a lot more SCO Open Desk Top machines though I currently don't have any of those remaining either. The SCO machines were much more useful and a lot less flaky though Linux has probably improved a bit since I last installed a version. SCO ODT was much more script compatible with what I was using at work at the time. Linux has all the features but tries to be cutesy and names things differently enough that it was just an amusing toy.
These days, I have only MS Windows operating systems in service. The reason why is because I find that most of what I currently do these last few years is share files with my children and work on documents and the Microsoft Office software is a LOT more reliable than Open Office regardless of claims. I also now program Gauges for Combat Flight Simulator and that requires a Microsoft development environment to be able to generate the GAU files.

To be honest, I still believe Unix to be a much superior development environment for C Programming, but that is probably because I spent an entire career working as a developer, systems integrator and administrator on various flavours of Unix for several decades. It would be great if I had room for a computer lab (which I did at one point) and be able to set up a couple boxes with each flavour of operating system but these days, there isn't the room any more. A few years back, we had a leaky water pipe and it took out a lot of the computer equipment. None of it was really that valuable in the sense of money, but it represented a lot of investment in time to set up. It also took out most of the spares I had. Having those machines operational again today would also benefit no one. No one else in my family is really interested in learning about different operating systems and networking them.

For Linux, we really should be saying "viva MIT MAC Project".

- Ivan.

Last edited:
CFS3's game engine via the SDK eliminated "super-mods" that plagued the CFS2 MP community, which was very welcome.
CFS3 also enabled complex "wire frames" that gave the aircraft more detail, especially if you were building a model using Turbo Squid's Gmax.

I have hundreds of hours on War Thunder and generally regret most of them. The game has so much potential but Gaijin refuses to change the repetitive gameplay or anything that actually matters. Not that I never have fun playing it but I'm great at bombers in that game, not fighters, and you get nothing for playing bombers. I do still occasionally play especially when it's in a squad with someone. My fav flight sim is 1946

CFS3's game engine via the SDK eliminated "super-mods" that plagued the CFS2 MP community, which was very welcome.
CFS3 also enabled complex "wire frames" that gave the aircraft more detail, especially if you were building a model using Turbo Squid's Gmax.
Hello GrauGeist,

I have never been all that hung up on detail on visual models. After a point, I don't think it matters much because the idea is really keeping an eyeball on the other fellow and not on the inside of your aeroplane. The sims need enough for a suspension of disbelief for me and it doesn't take much to do that. That is why CFS1 for the most part still works for me. The flight modelling has not changed substantially with the newer sims. Some things have been moved around a bit and some factors have changed to make tuning easier, but the basics are pretty much the same. It is very recognizable when one reads the descriptions of fields in the flight models that Microsoft now has available.

As for "super mods", I figure you already know there are interesting ways to tweak a flight model that do not look like unfair mods but end up as being quite advantageous and unrealistic, and I believe those for the most part would be very very difficult to detect without a thorough disassembly and analysis of the flight model. Each new flight model I work on teaches me something new. The Airacobra taught quite a lot as did the Ki 61 even though neither is really what one would consider a "mod".

- Ivan.

I have hundreds of hours on War Thunder and generally regret most of them. The game has so much potential but Gaijin refuses to change the repetitive gameplay or anything that actually matters. Not that I never have fun playing it but I'm great at bombers in that game, not fighters, and you get nothing for playing bombers. I do still occasionally play especially when it's in a squad with someone. My fav flight sim is 1946
579 hours i dont regret it

honestly i think getting stopping playing fortnite and war thunder were some of the best decisions of my gaming career. i know play mainly play kerbal space program - and its a far more enjoyable game

Users who are viewing this thread

Back