Warning: Be careful of those magnifying glass lights!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oops !
I agree, the lamp itself shouldn't be magnified. I once had a similar incident with my old magnifier lamp, but the light source was the sun, shining through the window near the lamp, and focusing, though the lens, onto a sheet of paper. Caught it in time, and then moved the lamp to a different place on the desk.
I also noticed an overhead light sometimes "caught" the lens, but the worst that happened with this was a very light singe mark on paper, although it's wise to be cautious !

Note window/skylight in background. It was night time when this picture was taken. Also the magnifying glass is not in the original position. It should be a bit further back towards the wall/window.

Damn that was too close, I consider that wild as we have the modern form of those at work. I bet we have probably 150 to 200 or more in the building but use LED lights. I guess its a good thing we don't have windows at work.

Glad it didn't get worse.

Guys...Im a professional fire fighter and can assure you that I've seen this sort of thing happen. Worse ive seen is a decretive lantern on a porch light siding on fire and burn a newer home down. There is a reason these things come with covers...and its not just for dust.

Holy chit, man - that was a close call!

Yeah, glass can be a source of "interesting situations".
I had a 1920's Standard Oil bottle sitting on a windowsill in the shop with no issues, until the Autumn sun came in at an angle and the refracted light started singing the blueprint/schematics on the shelf by the window.

Took a while to figure out what was going on, but it turns out that the art-deco design of the oil bottle was magnifying the sunlight as it passed from morning to afternoon.

Dodged a bullet that time, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread