Weird Experience at the USAF Museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SpicyJuan11

Senior Airman
May 29, 2015
Luxemburg
Hey guys, I went yesterday to the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio, and this may actually sound stupid, but do you ever feel like aircraft seem bigger/smaller in person than what they seem in photos? An extreme example is when I saw the B-29 Bockscar, and I was surprised to feel like the B-29 was kinda small compared to what I thought of it in photos. I had the same feeling when I saw other a/c such as the N1K 'George', Me 163 'Komet', and Fw 190 'Dora', and I don't mean to sound ridiculous, but I had the same feeling a tiny bit when I saw the B-36 'Peacemaker'. Is it just me?

The B-29 is fairly large, a little larger than the B-17 (which is alot smaller than most people think) but I'm sure it may seem larger in the photos than it really is.

The Me163 seems about right in person, especially when you compare the aircraft to the people standing nearby it in vintage photos...so seeing it in person shouldn't come as a surprise.

But the B-36 is a monster by any stretch of the imagination. Just to put it into perspective, the wingspan (at 230 feet) is wider than a 747

The B36 is massive! I dont understand how you could not say otherwise. But for the others, they are small compared with what we have today.

Well yes, I knew it was massive, but I thought it was EVEN bigger after seeing this photo:

uJlYJ0X.jpg

Thinking the B-29 was much larger than in person, you can see how I was just a tad "underwhelmed":dontknow:

All my aircraft are 1/48 so I have a pretty good idea on how they compare. I was surprised on how small the Dr. I at 23'7" and 19' long was compared to German WWII fighters 109s and 190s.
The B-17 at 104ft; the B-24 at 110ft compare fairly closely to the B-29 at 141ft. I've seen all of them on the ground and they look huge to me

Attachments

• DCP_1466.JPG
    DCP_1466.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 254
  • DCP_1461.JPG
    DCP_1461.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 252
  • DCP_1465.JPG
    DCP_1465.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0057R.jpg
    IMG_0057R.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 259
I am always amazed when I see pictures of massive airshow like Oskosh and there is an F-15 parked next to a B-17, wow! The 17 is not much bigger.

Hey guys, I went yesterday to the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio, and this may actually sound stupid, but do you ever feel like aircraft seem bigger/smaller in person than what they seem in photos? An extreme example is when I saw the B-29 Bockscar, and I was surprised to feel like the B-29 was kinda small compared to what I thought of it in photos. I had the same feeling when I saw other a/c such as the N1K 'George', Me 163 'Komet', and Fw 190 'Dora', and I don't mean to sound ridiculous, but I had the same feeling a tiny bit when I saw the B-36 'Peacemaker'. Is it just me?

I live not far from the Imperial War Museum at Duxford (UK) and I'm always amazed at, despite the scale of it, the B-52 almost seems a little smaller that I thought it would. Then underneath the wings of that you see a B-17 and a B-29 tucked away and it kinda blows your mind as to the scale of things!

When I first saw a B-29 in person (FIFI) the museum tour guy let my brother and I climb to the middle section righ where the bomb bay doors are located.
When I saw forward through the tunnel to the cockpit and then turning my head around all the way aft to the tail turret I realized it was just huge, I'll never forget it.
Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back