Werner Mölders Bf 109E (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

smithart101

Airman
Apr 16, 2009
Englandshire
werner molders detail close.jpg

werner molders.jpg

I wondered if anyone had any comments on my artwork of Werner Mölders Emil. It depicts his a/c on the morning of 20 September, when he downed two Spitfires of No. 92 Squadron (Sgt PR Eyles and P/O HP Hill) between Folkstone and Dover taking his tally of aerial victories to 40

I have only seen one photo of this aircraft which showed the nose area. Some sources (profiles) show a white ring at the rear of the spinner but in the photo I have seen, there doesn't appear to be one?

Also, I'm not confident of the colours of the eagle head emblem although I think the design is correct. Seen various colours but I am inclined towards white on light blue, as in the photo, it's significantly lighter than the yellow of the cowling.

The rudder shows 38 kill bars of course!

Are there any other photos of his Emil that anyone could share?

all comments appreciated thanks!

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very nice. But I'm not sure about the JG51 emblem on the engine cowling. According to my info the one appeared there in mid-April of 1941.

One thing i know, regarding the rudder of one of his 109E's W.Nr3737 was that his 40 victories were in 3 rows, 13, 13 and 14 and the Kommodore marking forward of the cross was a Chevron with pointed horizontal bar rather than Chevron / triangle marking.

According to John Weal's book about JG51 and a pic on page 47 taken at Mardyck airfield on 12 March 1941 Molder's Friedrich was without the unit emblem at that time yet. Also there is the info about introducing the emblem in mid-April 1941 and applying it on engine cowlings of all Bf109E and F of the JG ( page 45 ).
So... it is logical that if there wasn't the emblem applied on the Friedrich in March 1941 it wasn't on his Emil as well. The shot of Molder's Emil of the BoB period ( taken on 31st August 1940 , Pihen airfield) I have seen , can be found in Kagero boog of JG51 vol1 page64. The image shows Bf109E-4 W.Nr.2804 ,32 victory bars on the rudder, the engine cowling without the JG51 emblem there, yellow wing tips. Also the commander's markings ( <-+- ) are different from the one noticed in your rendering. Just single chevron and two lines.
Your kind of commander's markings can be found on Molders' Bf109F in the shot below.

M21.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with Wayne and Wurger. The artwork,which is very well done indeed,seems to be a composite of one of his Es and an F.
Cheers
Steve

According to John Weal's book about JG51 and a pic on page 47 taken at Mardyck airfield on 12 March 1941 Molder's Friedrich was without the unit emblem at that time yet. Also there is the info about introducing the emblem in mid-April 1941 and applying it on engine cowlings of all Bf109E and F of the JG ( page 45 ).
So... it is logical that if there wasn't the emblem applied on the Friedrich in March 1941 it wasn't on his Emil as well. The shot of Molder's Emil of the BoB period ( taken on 31st August 1940 , Pihen airfield) I have seen , can be found in Kagero boog of JG51 vol1 page64. The image shows Bf109E-4 W.Nr.2804 ,32 victory bars on the rudder, the engine cowling without the JG51 emblem there, yellow wing tips. Also the commander's markings ( <-+- ) are different from the one noticed in your rendering. Just single chevron and two lines.
Your kind of commander's markings can be found on Molders' Bf109F in the shot below.

M21.jpg

Wurger, would you mind posting that photo of the BoB period Emil from the Kagero book as I dont have that. thanks

This is the photo I used as reference for the front end. Described as 'Molders Messerschmitt 109 during the Battle of Britain'. Is this not correct then?:confused:
molders2.jpg

Here are photos of his wnr5628 in the autumn of 1940. The emblem appeared after repainting. He flew this aircraft during Operation Barbarossa.

Attachments

• meld1.jpg
    meld1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,226
This is the photo I used as reference for the front end. Described as 'Molders Messerschmitt 109 during the Battle of Britain'. Is this not correct then?:confused:
View attachment 179136

The picture you have posted , is the same one you can find in J.Weal's book about JG51 on page 45. Here is a little bit large one. The caption of the shot says about when the unit emblem appeared.
Concerning the Kagero book and the image there... I'll try to find another source of this one. If I won't I can scan it for you. But it might take me some time as I don't have a scaner.

To answer your question.... as far as I know Molders started flying operationally his Friedrich on 25th October 1940. And if his Bf109F-1 W.Nr.5628 still didn't have the emblem applied in March 1941, it means that the picture with the Emil must have been taken much later. Of course there is a possiblity he was using both Bf109E and Bf109F at that time. But then the unit emblem would have to be painted on both of them. To sum up, if your image shows Molders' Bf109E it can't be a shot taken during BoB but it was taken later. However Molders already flown Friedrich by that time. Therefore I don't believe it's his plane. It can be just each of Emils of JG51 used in 1941.

Attachments

• bf109E JG51.jpg
    bf109E JG51.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
simon smith werner molders.jpg

smith molders general view.jpg

molders rudder smith.jpg

Thanks Wojtek, and thanks to all for your comments. Thats the great thing about this forum. Quick feedback and sound information from informed experts. It saves much embarrassment later! I hope you dont mind if I post other paintings for comments as they are completed.

I made a few changes as advised: Yellow wing tips, Rudder markings now in three rows, commander markings corrected, badge removed. The rudder marking position is provisional until I can see the photo mentioned by Wurger from the Kagero book.

thanks again

Simon

Hi Simon,

You'r welcome.

Here you are the pic of the Bf109E. Believing in its caption it's Molders' one flown during BoB. Source Kagero book JG51 vol.1 by Marek.J.Murawski.

Attachments

• Molders Bf109E.jpg
    Molders Bf109E.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 547
Hi Wojtek,
many thanks for the photo! mm... I still have work to do !! I can see already that my markings are too big, both the commander chevrons and bars and also the kill bars. The 'first aid' symbol on the access panel has to move and the yellow wing tips need to be wider by quite a bit!

Hi Simon!
Some more information for your beautiful pictures:

Attachments

• mmm.jpg
    mmm.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back