What Annoyed You Today? (8 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This emoji/smilie:

:pilotsalute:

It usually accompanies the death of someone and serves no purpose other than draw attention to the person who posted it. Not sure why it annoys me so much; possibly the glib insincerity of it? You know those times at funerals when you go off and reflect, then some tool comes along and tells you how the weather is perfect for a send-off and won't shut up? I think it's that. And writing "blue skies sir" to someone you never met, who will never know you wrote it, or why. And "thanks for your service". I got paid for "serving" - I did it for me. I don't need your thanks, even if they might be sincere.

All these things have become trite and effectively meaningless. So yes, that bloody emoji annoyed me today.
As far as "Thank you for your service." goes, whether you did it for you or not is immaterial. You served. You placed your body and mind at the disposal of your country. That's something that sets you apart from most people. Those who have benefitted from the security provided by those who serve should be grateful.
Dismissing gratitude, even if you think it is insincere, is an offense against charity.

So, from one who has served to another,
thank you for your service.

Gregory Boeser, CW2,
OIF 4/2003 - 3/2004

I brought this emoji here to the forum because the original saluting gif was left handed which I didn't feel was appropriate. I transformed it a bit because the original was smiling so I took off the corners and made a straight line. I can't find the original online anymore and was totally surprised when it became included with the forum emojis

Just saw this headline:

How to Know if Your Social Security Number has been Compromised

Didn't read the article. Already know the answer.
1. Do you have a Social Security number?
2. It's been compromised.

I get notices every few months from banks, mortgage company, university, phone company, the list goes on and on -
We regret to inform you that we have detected a data breach that has put your personal information at risk...

I brought this emoji here to the forum because the original saluting gif was left handed which I didn't feel was appropriate. I transformed it a bit because the original was smiling so I took off the corners and made a straight line. I can't find the original online anymore and was totally surprised when it became included with the forum emojis
Same with the animated one.

The salute was one the wrong side, so I changed it by placing the hand on the proper side and increasing the salute time.
I thought it was neat that Horse added it to the list.

:salute:

I doubt I'd have noticed a left-handed salute, but I was always taught that you only salute if you've got your hat on. Not sure if a flying helmet qualifies as a 'hat'.

This in no way a critique, just an observation on the things one notices and those which pass you by.

I do however think it perfectly valid to post on the passing of people you knew.

This emoji/smilie:

It usually accompanies the death of someone and serves no purpose other than draw attention to the person who posted it. Not sure why it annoys me so much; possibly the glib insincerity of it? You know those times at funerals when you go off and reflect, then some tool comes along and tells you how the weather is perfect for a send-off and won't shut up? I think it's that. And writing "blue skies sir" to someone you never met, who will never know you wrote it, or why. And "thanks for your service". I got paid for "serving" - I did it for me. I don't need your thanks, even if they might be sincere.

All these things have become trite and effectively meaningless. So yes, that bloody emoji annoyed me today.

Offering a salute to someone can be seen as a cheap "thank you", sure. But if you see it as a cheap and easy way, isn't that you and your own feelings rather than the spirit in which the salute is offered?

I can't and won't argue against your own personal feelings, but I can and will say that those feelings are only your own and don't speak to the feelings of them who offer an emoji -- admittedly easy praise -- but even typed words come up empty, don't they? What sort of eulogy are you looking for?

I hear that "thank you for your service" sometimes when I get my veteran's discount or whatnot. I simply tell them that their best thanks is the vigorous exercise of their rights. I sure as hell didn't enlist to get a fat paycheck.

Last edited:
I doubt I'd have noticed a left-handed salute, but I was always taught that you only salute if you've got your hat on. Not sure if a flying helmet qualifies as a 'hat'.

This in no way a critique, just an observation on the things one notices and those which pass you by.

I do however think it perfectly valid to post on the passing of people you knew.

I never use the flying helmet salute, because I am not a pilot.

I don't mind saluting the passing of folks I don't know when they've done something to make my life easier.

Really good point. The reason for the service is so people can be active members of their community.

'Vigorous' is a very good word for it.

I will avoid politics, but I will say that when the public abdicates rights we swore to defend, it rather spits on our service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back