What are you doing today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"carpet caltrops" :evil4:
Just got back from Oshkosh where my father's WR-B JANE VI, resurrected from June 2, 1945 heap of aluminum trash, into a magnificent P-51D-20-NA. I was goaded into participation of the formal showing Wednesday. Unforgettable experience. He got four ground destroyed, two damaged, but JANE VI was damaged on same mission, April 13th 1945. JANE VII was his last ship.


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwFj9QExU3s&t=3352s
 

Attachments

  • 355FG WR-Bbar DiPietro retouch.jpg
    355FG WR-Bbar DiPietro retouch.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 355fg WRBbar JaneVI and Doolittle_march 1945 [marshall] -.jpg
    355fg WRBbar JaneVI and Doolittle_march 1945 [marshall] -.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 355fg WRBbar_Jane VI_mar1945 [marshall].jpg
    355fg WRBbar_Jane VI_mar1945 [marshall].jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 18
we worked on punch list stuff, wiring and we started the safety rail and balusters down to the "unfinished" basement. I tossed air quotes around that because it required a sheet rock fire barrier on both the lid and the walls.
Where the upstairs rails and balusters are delicate VG fir, these are common rustic stuff. I salvaged a 2x8 for the rail top and shoved it through the planer a couple of times. The post is a salvage piece of formwork from the SR520 bridge job in 2014. I could plane the wide sides a bit, but I left both of them with that weathered patina. I grabbed a bunch of 2x2 from the box store and sliced and diced some balusters and pressure blocking. Installed with finish nails and glue.
The 4x6 post is secured by only 3 timberlok screws but it has no wiggle.
PXL_20260729_022345449.jpg


PXL_20260729_022355527.MP.jpg
 
I prepared for final electrical inspection all day yesterday and the inspector never showed. He called and is coming on Monday.
All buttoned up and breakers are labeled.
PXL_20260730_190125911.jpg


PXL_20260730_190159130.jpg

Today's project is to build the safety gates for the elevator landings. If the platform is in the basement, that is a 6+ meter fall.

PXL_20260730_201234863.jpg
 
Greg Boeser Greg Boeser I have found memories of attending parades with my FIL and his draft horse and buggy. Thanks for posting.
Yesterday was designing and then we sliced and diced and plowed the rails with the router table.
The goal is a sturdy gate that takes standard hardware, so I had to laminate a couple of planed down 5/4 for the stiles to get a 1.75" thick door
All I have to show for it is a pile of ready parts. Today will be fun.
My brothers will put these gates together while I weld on the rails to the platform lift.
PXL_20260801_234747572.jpg


I planed and sanded the balusters to fit. No nails there just glue and clamps on the blocking.
PXL_20260802_021116794.jpg
 
I finished welding on the balusters Tuesday. It has 13 on the long side and it does fly up the shaft at 15 FPM, maybe I should post it in the "13's" thread?
PXL_20260804_192834437.jpg


I went home (112 miles ) to pick up more lumber. The landlady broke her ankle and is in a wheelchair, and needs some plywood down to make her porch accessible. I have some salvage from the floating bridge job that will work fine.
I spent time with my wife and dogs and loaded tools and came back today.
My sister had an eye for cool stuff at thrift shops, and she picked up this mirror because it reminded her of our fathers, both men were Marines in the 4th Division in the Pacific Theater.
She gifted it to me before she passed, and I was wanting to bring it up and hang it in the basement bathroom to honor all of them.
It is a cool piece. Quartersawn oak with little splines on the corners, a oak ply back and put together with a bunch of those little slotted bronze screws.
From the "DA" on the back, it appears to be between 70 and 80 years old. Not a WWII piece but a Korean War vintage piece.
It has a little de-silvering but I will not touch it.
PXL_20260806_192552618.jpg


PXL_20260806_193139257.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back