What Are You Driving ??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's a 295rsx extralite so it's not that big but with 3 slides it really opens up the floor plan,pin weight is 1650,total gross around 12klbs...I still needed it to store in my back yard plus it's for the 2 of us and a dog. Don't need more. Had a 276 Kodiak TT which over all was almost as long but interior was just not there. Heck it's even got a fireplace that throws heat...

My friend, compared to what I'm hoping to get, that thing is bl**dy huge !
The tow truck alone is probably bigger than what I'll end up with !
But then, some of the roads I'll be travelling are a bit narrow and steep, but to be fair, they were widened and improved around 100 years ago, and are now a massive 8 feet wide !

Lol,yeah there's certain mountain passes that warn you about trying to make it and every year there's some guy who's stuck in a sharp curve. When I watch the Tour de France I'm impressed by the amount and style of a lot of the campers, some look really cool and size efficient. One thing good about over here is the amount of camp grounds that are available and with electric hook ups etc. They are now doing time share spots also...Plus there's a good chance I'll be retired in the next few years so we will be getting rid of the house and just maybe travel for a few years

Nice one.
I need to be a bit choosy, within my limited budget, in what I decide to get eventually, as it'll be my only vehicle - no room for a car or 4x4 and a camper, and even less budget!
I could probably get a larger, more roomy van, and possibly at a good price, but using that just to 'nip to the shops' and so on could be inconvenient, so I'll probably go for a good, used, older more compact example which, unfortunately, tend to hold their price well, and cost a bit more, even for something 15 years old or older.
All being well, I should have saved enough by early spring - and then it's touring time !

Well, the old Bronco is retired. My daughter bought a "mommy-mobile" with her tax money and gave me her 2009 Nissan sedan. I now enjoy....
A speedometer.
A gas gauge.
5 bucks worth of gas getting me to work a week, instead of 25 bucks.
A radio with a CD player.
A heater.
And,...It has all the windows intact!

But I miss my Bronco.

2004 5spd Forester:
18409690154_56cac859e3_b.jpg

And my play car, 98' GTI VR6
16591028868_78f29393ba_b.jpg

About a month ago I bought a Skoda Octavia estate and admit to being delighted with it. I don't think these are for sale in the USA but its basically an estate (station wagon) version of the VW Golf. The engine, transmission, controls and even the keys are almost identical. The engine isn't huge by US standards a 2.0L diesel with 150 BHP but it does 0 - 60 in 8.5 seconds and I am averaging approx. 55 MPG on the daily commute which I am more than happy with.

Talking to my brother in the US he tells me that diesel powered cars are very unusual which I admit I didn't expect. Does anyone know why as they seem to have the performance and economy that a lot of people need.

Any ideas welcome.

A link to a review is attached
Skoda Octavia Estate Review | What Car?

Actually I think diesels are doing better here,VW,Audi,Mercedes,BMW have diesels. The price recently has been competitive with regular gas and sometimes somewhat cheaper. I'm at the extreme I have a Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins diesel, 850ft lb or torque and 365 hp. I have seen 21 mpg at around 80mph but realistically i get about 18mpg.

About a month ago I bought a Skoda Octavia estate and admit to being delighted with it. I don't think these are for sale in the USA but its basically an estate (station wagon) version of the VW Golf. The engine, transmission, controls and even the keys are almost identical. The engine isn't huge by US standards a 2.0L diesel with 150 BHP but it does 0 - 60 in 8.5 seconds and I am averaging approx. 55 MPG on the daily commute which I am more than happy with.

Talking to my brother in the US he tells me that diesel powered cars are very unusual which I admit I didn't expect. Does anyone know why as they seem to have the performance and economy that a lot of people need.

Any ideas welcome.

A link to a review is attached
Skoda Octavia Estate Review | What Car?
Skoda isn't imported to the U.S., most likely because they don't want to re-engineer their vehicles to U.S. crash safety specs. My Fiancee had a Hyundai Coupe there in Bulgaria that isn't available in the states and it's a blast to drive (except in Italy - the potholes suck)

As far as diesels go, few American automakers have done diesel engined passenger cars, except GM, who had large dielsels in Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs and Chevrolets. Otherwise, there are quite a few European models and even a few Japanese models here.

Skoda isn't imported to the U.S., most likely because they don't want to re-engineer their vehicles to U.S. crash safety specs. My Fiancee had a Hyundai Coupe there in Bulgaria that isn't available in the states and it's a blast to drive (except in Italy - the potholes suck)

Skoda is part of the Volkswagen group. The Octavia shares the basic floor and running package as the VW Passat and Audi A4. Skoda cars are the base models of the group and European cars are sold as premium models in US, hence no Skodas. All great cars.

I had a 1980 Olds Cutlass with that V8 diesel, what a POS that was, seemed like every week there was something else wrong with it. Gave it to my dad who had a 69 Cutlass that the body finally gave away and thru the Rocket 350 from that car into the 1980, thing ran for another 120k miles before that cars body rotted away in Florida. I think Jeep liberty had a diesel for awhile, not sure if they do so anymore. I would love to see a diesel in an SUV, for some reason that's not happening.

I'm not sure it's still available Dave. I don't think the GM is build in the Suburban in 3/4 ton and 1 ton versions any more. At least, I've not seen any. So I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back