What Are You Driving ??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Excursion and Surburban options are no longer...

There's a company down near Atlanta, Georgia that will do the conversion on 3/4 and 1 ton pickup and Suburbans, but you have to supply both the doner vehicle and the the vehicle to be converted. These being GM vehicles.

Interesting, because I had worked on a Homeland Security Tahoe that was diesel. Had all the typical diesel stickers under the hood, nothing aftermarket (typical factory/SAE info stickers written in english, arabic, cyrillic and french). This vehicle was typically based out of the Bay area, but had come into the shop due to horrible emergency equipment install (and wiring).

Also a BLM Fire supervisor's Suburban that had a diesel. This vehicle was assigned to the northern California/southern Oregon area and was having a Kenwood radio. Added as a supplement to it's Bendix-King for multi-agency communications.

Nothing special about either vehicle, both were government assigned assets, VIN was typical, etc. so I assumed that this was a normal option.

The Suburban was a 2012 and the Tahoe was a 2013, by the way.

I do know that Chevrolet has introduced a 2.0L turbo-diesel to it's Cruze model line for 2015. Supposedly petter mileage and performance than a Jetta.

Diesels in the 'states have a bad stigma from the US Automakers first smelly, slow and inefficient attempts in the 70s.
Its sad too cause a diesel is a wonderful thing to drive and can be modded to be very very quick.

The VAG (VW Audi Group) have a TON of cars we dont get here :(

Americans had always built monster diesels for heavy-duty and industrial applications. With gasoline readily and cheaply available, there was never really any need to apply a diesel to a passenger vehicle.

So when the fuel crisis happened in the 70's, the automakers were at a diasadvantage.

On the otherhand, there were several vehicles/engines that were incredibly economical long before their time. A few examples would be the Nash Metropolitan, Rambler American, Studebaker Lark, Chevy Nova/ChevyII, Plymouth Valiant, Ford Falcon and such engines like the Chevy 153 cid. L-4 and 194 cid. L-6, Ford 170 cid. L-6

Pretty sure it does have the diesel option in Europe, no idea why the can't retrofit them.

That being said, enjoy my diesel 45mpg (although it drops a little on solely town driving). Probably go back to petrol for the next car but all depends whats available and around when I'm looking to replace the current ride...

They did put a diesel in I think a Jeep Liberty here, have not heard much of anything from them.

Found a pic of one of my favorite cars I used to own.

Attachments

• Scan0009 (2).jpg
    Scan0009 (2).jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 56
Sorry about resurrecting an older thread, but hey, cars are cool.

This isn't my car (internet photo) but mine is the same color, and I'd NEVER do that to the rear tires...

Also have a 1995 Cadillac STS Seville w/88,000 miles that's my daily driver ( like new and same red metallic as the CTS-V ).

and a GMC Savannah full sized van that just turned 255,000 miles last week. *knocks on wood*

Attachments

• lead14-2011-cadillac-cts-v-wagon.jpg
    lead14-2011-cadillac-cts-v-wagon.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back