What historical event would you like to....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vassili Zaitzev

Master Sergeant
Nov 25, 2005
Connecticut, United States
If anyone can remember, I made a thread way back that ask, "What person would to like to bring back for a day"? I figured we could learn some something for each member. The question is, "What historical event would you like to visit/particpate? It can be any event that strecthes back to ancient times, to today. Either you can just watch(omnipresent), or actively participate. For instance, I could say, I would like to be a British soldier at the battle of Isandhlwana. Something like that.

Have fun with this, if I didn't clarify something, ask. :)

Off the top of my head, the Liberation of Paris on August 25th, 1944. I've heard from a ton of people that every Allied solider in the city (ahem) "got some" (ahem).

Must've been one helluva party.

the reality behind November 26, 1944 and my cousins downing. there is little written and only gathered through intense research and the help of those here, Dragondog comes to mind. A movie though wild still could not do this air operation full justice, it appears almost everyone got killed, wounded and maimed on both sides before nightfall, especially the LW.

A. I'd like to be the last homo sapien to have sex with the last Neanderthal woman.
B. I'd like to be floating in the water at midway watching the Japanese flattops turned to scrap iron.
C. It has to be on Apollo 11

I could take Theropolaye. I always wanted to be a Spartan.

Well, let me post a few of my own.

1. French Legionnaire at Camerone.
2. Redcoat at Waterloo.
3. Soviet soldier at Stalingrad.
4. Union soldier at Gettysburg.
5. French soldier at Verdun.
6. And a British Red Devil in Arnhem, 1944.

Hope I didn't go overboard with this.

wow...good question!

It would be a tough decision to nail down a single event...

I'd say some of my top picks would be:

The battle of Thermopylae - and in that, I'd say the fight for possesion of King Leonidas' body would have been epic.

The battle of Actium

The great air battle of St. Mihiel during WWI

The battle of Jutland

The duel between Sutherland and Sakai

The battle of Samar, specifically the actions of the U.S. destroyer Johnston (DD-557)

Dang...way too many to list here now that I think about it! :lol:

Wow, hard to come up with a single one......

RAF flyer during Battle of Britain
24th Foot soldier at Rourke's Drift
Nelson at the Nile
A redtail hawk flying over Gettysburg

Just a thought on what you would "see" in most of the battles. Probably not much. Most of the time, you probably wouldn't know if you'd won or lost until nightfall and then only if you were still on the same ground or retreating. As Wellington said, "There is nothing so melancholy as a batlle lost as a battle won".

However, I like Najaco's Red Tailed Hawk analogy. You'd be there but strictly as an observer. It interests but doesn't concern you as you have nothing really to do but watch. In all the other analogies, you've got a job to do and that would keep you too busy to watch.

Just my .02 on being there.

Pre 20th Century events.....

The battles of Lexington and Concord

Siege/battle of the Alamo

Gettysburg

Battle of Hampton Roads - CSS Virginia vs USS Monitor

TO

I would like to witness the Signing of the U.S. Constitution. Then I could ask the founders exactly what they intended and relay it to the Boobs that are currently holding public office, and there are Boobs on both sides of the isle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back