What if?????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember something from one of Col. Hackworth's books. One of his first duties in the Army was guarding prisoners from WWII. He spoke with a German soldier who spoke English. Hack asked him how he got captured. The German responded that he was guarding a pass with an anti-tank weapon. He ran out of ammo before the Americans ran out of tanks was his reply. That says alot actually.

I read a story similar to that but it was from the German point of view. It said he was captured near Cassino and that an "arrogant young U.S soldier" guarding him had asked if he was so good why was he captured by a green U.S soldier?

The German replied that he had commanded a battery of four 88mm AA cannon. The Shermans came rolling down the road and they kept destroying them but then the ammo ran out but the tanks kept coming.

I might be able to find the exact story it's in Monte Cassino by Matthew Parker.

evangilder said:
I remember something from one of Col. Hackworth's books. One of his first duties in the Army was guarding prisoners from WWII. He spoke with a German soldier who spoke English. Hack asked him how he got captured. The German responded that he was guarding a pass with an anti-tank weapon. He ran out of ammo before the Americans ran out of tanks was his reply. That says alot actually.

It says to me Evan that it takes one hell of a lot of guts to keep attacking when you are fully aware that the opposition can drill holes right through you and fry you alive like your mates in the tank in front and the US productivity was unstoppable. I often wonder if old Wittmann would have been so big an ace with out a Tiger what do you reckon his kill number would have been with a Sherman under his feet and an opponent armed with an 88 (not many I suspect and he would of brewed up along with those other poor sods).

Yeah, there's not much even the best can do when the enemy's guns are out-ranging you by 2km.

The problem was in Cassino was that they bottle-necked due to the wreckage caused by the Allied artillery and aerial bombardment. They really were crawling up those streets and through those valleys. All of those during the Cassino fighting were extremely brave.

On the point of armour, the whole idea of the Sherman was not to crawl but to "run" so to speak. Fast moving targets were extremely hard to hit. However, the Germans were excellent at concealment. It's awful image to watch a tank's turret disconnect when you know there's people inside that thing.

The German forces out-gunned us throughout 1943 and all the way to 1945. The only thing that the Allies had was the Sherman Firefly that could punch at German ranges, and even then it struggled. E

Even when the Allied tankers saw their opponent, it would be a race to get to them before they could hit you. An extremely scary time! The Soviet tankers fared no better in their T-34s. In fact, it was known for a Tiger to merely point it's cannon at a Soviet tank and the crew would abandon.

I don't know. I know I wouldn't like flying in something that's getting shot at.

To bad the Allies spent all that time, men and machinery at Mt Cassino. They should have used them to the east at Ortona to support the Canadians. Most likely they would have been in Rome much sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back