What If...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The GZ never would have made it out of the channel. First of all the British aircraft in the area would have far out numbered the Luftwaffe and she would not have had sufficient carrier support from BB's, Cruisers, and Destroyers.

Attachments

• gz_136.jpg
    gz_136.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 791
she would have looked even nicer to the crews of the attacking british ships with a couple of torps in her side........

As far as I know, the hull of the Peter Strasser was only about 60 percent completed before she was scrapped. They already had one white elephant on their hands, with the Graf Zeppelin.

Some neat Graf Zeppelin model shots:

Attachments

• gz_2_470.jpg
    gz_2_470.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 687
  • gz_1_211.jpg
    gz_1_211.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 702
  • gz_0_722.jpg
    gz_0_722.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 697
  • gz_205.jpg
    gz_205.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 690
  • gz_3_697.jpg
    gz_3_697.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 691
Yeah the Peter Strasser was never even close to being finished. Atleast the GZ resembled an aircraft carrier. She deffinatly would have been a beautiful ship and would have been neat to see today.

:rolleyes: Lanc's lack of faith in my model building skills is not misplaced (this time), I'm afraid.

The model is 1:100 scale. Here's the link.
http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmodels/german_models/grafzeppelinliedtke.html
Btw, the small circular platform near the bow was meant to contain a gun mount.

And lanc, wood planking on flight decks was far from unusual at the time. Virtually all of the Japanese and early American carriers had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back