What is this? (Luftwaffe im Focus 31) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually, bobbins would make sense, that would explain the opening on the front and the general shape. The ring-shaped opening seems perfect for the task. X-4 has two wires though, no?

That's what I'm wondering.
Most of the wire-guided weapons the Germans used or were developing, used two control wires.

Still wondering, though, why a recon unit would have something like this.

If it was experimental, I would think that KG200 would be involved.

Perhaps a silly question:

If they were bobbins for wire-guided weapons, won't be to close one to another and risk tangling the wires?

here is another question related to the bobbins theory - for X-4 and X-7 missiles bobbins has been installed on missile not on airframe...

Is the equipment some sort of microphone / listening device. Operating at night and not making your positions known with light bombs I guess that they would use there "ears"

OK a contributor further up has correctly identified (by reading the accompanying text....always helps before making daft remarks) the aircraft is coded 5D+BL and the therefore the unit is 3.(H)/31 (3.(H)/Auf.Kl.Gr. 31 or Aufklärungsgruppe 31) a long distance high level reconnaissance unit. Whilst Aufklärer units did carry bombs on missions the items are more likely to do with the reconnaissance function, I am not sure 'small bombs' or 'rockets' on a high level aircraft that carried no bombsight would be worth carrying

Last edited by a moderator:
Why edit out the website details of a very good publication? Yet it's OK to copy and upload the page of the publication??

If more people here bought and read it, and other more serious Luftwaffe books, then there would be far fewer daft uniformed remarks

To my knowledge the external fuel tanks of any size on Bf 110 were not droppable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back