What is this? (Luftwaffe im Focus 31)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those don't look like IR sensors, especially by the tech standards in the mid-20th century.
Also, if they were IR sensors, the group of two in front would be blocking the two behind.

There was a really good thread about IR used during the war and Soren's post #119 has photos of IR equipped Luftwaffe aircraft:
Technology and Science from 1901 to 1945

But the pic shoes that these front ones are off-set left while those back ones to the right.

20211116_081946a.jpg

But the pic shoes that these front ones are off-set left while those back ones to the right.

View attachment 649381
They are indeed offset to a degree, but note the two in front are blocking the one behind and between two front units.
If this was a system that used IR, that one element's range would be blocked.

Also, in your photo (nice zoom, by the way), note how the four heads have an annular opening and the spacing of the four devices appear to be taking advantage of airflow.

I'm still thinking they have something to do with meteorological data gathering.

Oh now I grasp your idea of the bloking the IR. So you are right although it seems that the setting of these things was because of tracking of the verry narrow front range only.
I had to admit that the meteo sensors were my initial thought as well.

Looks like part of a radar
No radar I've ever seen. And lacking any microwave capability, they're too small to hold a dipole.

Unless I'm just seeing things, it appears the "nose cone" is smaller than the rest of the body of this device. That would suggest the dark ring is "open" to allow air in.

Smoke dispensers? Seems too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back