what is this plane and about when???? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrc

Recruit
Nov 16, 2004
I need to know what this is and about when. I know this is not the place for it but you guys i have been a huge help in the past

Attachments

• mysteryaircrafttwelve4ha.jpg
    mysteryaircrafttwelve4ha.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,263
  • mysteryaircrafttwelveengine7sl.jpg
    mysteryaircrafttwelveengine7sl.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,266
  • mysteryaircrafttwelvepilot4rt.jpg
    mysteryaircrafttwelvepilot4rt.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,252
  • mysteryaircrafttwelvesideview6.jpg
    mysteryaircrafttwelvesideview6.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,264
That is all i have. It is part of a question and answer thing i have for a project. I have one more pic i will attach

Attachments

• mysteryaircrafttwelvebestview6.jpg
    mysteryaircrafttwelvebestview6.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,186
The only other hint i have as to what it is.

"This one was sort of famous in it's day, more for what it was going to do than what it ever did. It was a big one at that time in aviation history."

The hull looks to be an actual boat, complete with bowsprit, for cryin' out loud! One thing for sure, the guy who designed that hull wasn't responsible for wiring those tin can wing floats out there! Nice V-8 engine, though: note the single pushrod-rocker arm assembly for both valves, a common practice back then. It has an Italian air about it, somehow.

I'm damned if I can find anything. Does anyone know of a good reverse search-engine for images. By that I mean an engine you can put a picture in and it will search for the same / similar images?

Kiwimac

The engine looks a lot like a Curtiss V-8 from about 1909 or so. The pilot even looks a bit like Glenn L. Curtiss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back