What is this?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I initially thought Typhoon but wings are wrong then went through Tomahawk/Kittyhawk but fixed undecarriage confused me? It is certainly getting a lot of attention which makes me think it was unusual to see it at this airfield?

So come on guys and girls, what is it?

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• What1.jpg
    What1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 352
Must have been posting at the same time! Come to think of it, that's potentially a valuable photo (as they all are Steve). It could be one of a number of captured Stukas, most often seen in side views. In your pic, I'm guessing it was a 'new arrival', judging by the attention.

That makes sense as Grandad did mention captured Stuka's that they painted up in RAF colours and also they found a complete JU52 at the captured airfield with a knackered engine, so they took the one from the front and replaced the damaged engine, and then stuck a Merlin engine into the nose, painted it in RAF colours and it did sterling service up to the end of the war.

Now that would be worth seeing! It'd be a Ju52/2+1 !! With a Merlin up front, it must have been a job to fit it, and to synchronise, and fly it!

Now that would be worth seeing! It'd be a Ju52/2+1 !! With a Merlin up front, it must have been a job to fit it, and to synchronise, and fly it!

Yeah, it was some beast, as well as Crash and Bash duties, Grandad worked in the Test and Despatch Flight at Aboukir and they tried lots of different things.

Fitting a 20mm Cannon through the nose of a Blenheim being one of them! Just to see how it worked, and fitting rear turrets on them and all sorts, he mentioned one turret installation that was tried (I forget the A/C type) but it was scrapped as you would have to install the gunner and then crane him with the turret into position! Not the best for a quick exit!:lol:

Great post mate! Just to add my 2 forint, it's either a ju 87B or R, judging by the radiator.

Interesting your grandfather worked in the Aboukir outfit - they came up with the more practical 'Aboukir filter' fitted to desert Spitfires.

Evan

A couple of pics for this german plane. Location is Catania(Italy) 1941 immediately after a bombing raid by RAF
Alex

Attachments

• 1941 Catania Ju87 7°Gruppo d.jpg
    1941 Catania Ju87 7°Gruppo d.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 1941 Catania Ju87 .jpg
    1941 Catania Ju87 .jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 274
Great post mate! Just to add my 2 forint, it's either a ju 87B or R, judging by the radiator.

Interesting your grandfather worked in the Aboukir outfit - they came up with the more practical 'Aboukir filter' fitted to desert Spitfires.

Evan

Yeah he mentioned a flap fitted to the Spitfires intake and on one occasion pursuing the enemy, the wing man forgot to open the flap which was closed on take off to reduce dust and sand problems, couldnt understand how the leader disappeared into the distance until he twigged, opened the flap and took off like a rocket!:oops:

Never made that mistake again! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back