What is your Army IQ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 23, 2006
Southern California
I was revisiting some of my old pictures and came across some from a trip that might provide some interest to you guys familar with Cold war army. Can you name these weapons? One is obvious, the name is implied, a couple are pre WWII.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0980mod.JPG
    IMG_0980mod.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0987mod.JPG
    IMG_0987mod.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 193
A couple of more. One has a famous name, one was part of final negotiations in the Cold War, and the grave site is man who is well known by every army paratrooper. Name the weapons and the man, and, state where these pictures were taken.

Attachments

• IMG_0990mod.JPG
    IMG_0990mod.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0983mod.JPG
    IMG_0983mod.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 196
This is weird! Your submittal shows you said "French 76" but when I respond it says you say "French 75", which is correct. Others are correct, although it is "Sergeant".

Ah, must have caught you in the middle of a correction!

yeap... it was an honest type-o

nice thread..

In that last trio of photos, is the middle one a Pershing missile?

Where is this museum? I'd love to volunteer to help restore that 75. Sveral years ago, put a new coat of paint on a Stuart tank which sits in front of the county courthouse where I live.

In that last trio of photos, is the middle one a Pershing missile?

Where is this museum? I'd love to volunteer to help restore that 75. Sveral years ago, put a new coat of paint on a Stuart tank which sits in front of the county courthouse where I live.

Yes, it is a Pershing. I will let you know where it is but I want to give others an opportunity to guess. I will give further clues on the remaining three pictures. The big gun is the most unique gun in the museum and, probably the world. It has a famous name and was involved in a historical event. Someone should get this now. The small gun was the premier gun at the start of the American Civil War. The man is not only well know by American paratroopers but was very respected by friends and enemy and was also feared by enemies. He was know for bravery and daring during desert warfare. Look closely at the tombstone for any clues. Final clue, it is name you know (probably).

A couple of more pictures to guess. One old and easy and one modern and hard.

Attachments

• IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 233
The top one is a German 88

Correct, again. Okay, the last gun (very hard) and the man is shown. One more hint on the site. All of the weapons shown are field artillery (including the missiles). Thunder in the distance, live fire. Not Aberdeen.

Note that there is some colorful objects on the memorial. People still put trinkets and money there.

Attachments

• geronimo_memorial.JPG
    geronimo_memorial.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 155mmgun.JPG
    155mmgun.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 126
So thats the artillery museum at Fort Sill in Oklahoma, and the monument is actually Geronimo's grave at the Indian POW cemetery. Looks like the "Skull and Bones" society of Yale university apparently dug him up and stole some of Geronimo's skeletal remains, including Prescott Bush.

Overall, looks like a very neat museum to visit, though some of the photos of the museum showpieces, while interesting to see in their original "as found" condition, they really need a thorough restoration.

Very good! I have been to the Patton Museum at Fort Knox(was stationed there) and the museum at Camp Mabry in Austin. That is a good one and well worth seeing if one is in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back