What is your favorite Bf-109? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK SaprotRob, this is for you ...

Spitfire_Ale_1.jpg

MG-151/15 15 mm cowling guns on a Me 109 are a myth as the weapon was too large, too long to be accommodated there.
I buy the myth part, and I could be convinced of the too large (really too heavy) part for a 109, but I don't buy the too long. I could also buy there would be feed issues as the 151 round is almost 50% larger diameter than the 131 and there isn't any space under cowl to spread guns apart.

The "receiver" of the MG151 is only ~7cm longer than that of the MG131 (68 vs 61cm) and I think there is still that much space between MG131 breech and the instrument panel of the 109. It might be cosy and/or require relocation of instruments in top corners of panel, but no worse than the Zero.

The additional 0.75m of barrel would just mean muzzles are closer to the prop.

By receiver, I am referring to the amount of gun behind the barrel.

Aside: Would DB605L need 2 x 3 blade props, or just 2 x 2?? Spitfire was going from 5 to 6 blades with contra rotating = 20% increase, 2x2 would be 33% increase.

I was thinking there would be CoG issues with just the 2 stage supercharger of the DB605L, without accounting for 4 blade prop, even after removing the MG131s.

MK108 "only" weighs about 60kg; the MK103 is the beast that weighs about 140kg. The receiver for the MK103 is over 30cm further back than MG151; the joy stick had be curved to allow full travel with the MG151. To fit the MK103, you're going P-38 and moving the joystick to the side of the cockpit. And your b@lls are going to be resting against the receiver. I suspect not many pilots felt comfortable in mockup of the MK103 in 109.

No, CG wouldn't be a problem as long as you took out the IFF, nose armor and other assorted bits…

Okay, I will put myself into timeout.
I damn-near added something along those lines, but I'm trying hard to avoid mentioning anything to do with a certain Bell product... :lol:

Awesome! Luftwaffe Lager and the Bottle of Britain. Could there be an alcoholic Kamikaze as well?
There is.
To make a Kamikaze:
2oz. Vodka
3/4oz. Orange liquor
3/4oz. fresh Lime juice

Combine into a shaker filled with ice, shake until cold.
Using a strainer, pour into two shot glasses.

Pro tip: over indulgence will find you battling gravity, which many ultimately lose.

Hence the name...

There is.
To make a Kamikaze:
2oz. Vodka
3/4oz. Orange liquor
3/4oz. fresh Lime juice

Combine into a shaker filled with ice, shake until cold.
Using a strainer, pour into two shot glasses.

Pro tip: over indulgence will find you battling gravity, which many ultimately lose.

Hence the name...
Should call it Airacobra. That one is always batteling gravity and needs only a little enhancement to hit the deck flat on his face.

I sort of remember trying to brush the floor off my face once.
I was wondering if there are other bottled alcoholic aircraft brew.
Wensleydale: Stuka (ale)
Wingman Brewers: P-51 (porter)
Banks Park Brewery: Lancaster (ale)

There's several others that I can't remember at the moment.
If I have time this afternoon, I'll Google and see if I can find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back