What is your favorite Bf-109?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Me.109T-1 - sailplane version of the family. Probably easiest landing of the models.
I also like the Bf 109T naval variant. The 'T' meant Träger (carrier). Other than the hook, the biggest change was the much increased wingspan to 11.08 m (36.35 ft). The ailerons, slats, and flap travel were also increased for smoother landing and easier take off in rough seas.

belbji-sFuNrnUwFoXOtdgB8FS_rFb17eJOKdO3uFEhfrg7680.jpg

Had resources gone to Graf Zeppelin ahead of Bismarck and Tirpitz the Bf 109T would have been the best carrier fighter of the early Atlantic war. Imagine facing the Bf 109T in a Sea Gladiator, Skua or Fulmar. Surely the early Seafire program would not have been kyboshed by Churchill?

Me.109T-1 - sailplane version of the family. Probably easiest landing of the models.

Sailplane?

A sailplane is a glider.

The Bf 109T was not a glider. It was an aircraft carrier variant of the 109 with a tail hook, longer wingspan, and structural modifications.

As A Admiral Beez pointed out, the T was for "Träger" which is short for "Flugzeugträger" which is German for aircraft carrier.

If the Bf109T was a "sailplane", then what would the Me155 be considered? :lol:
Did a Me.155 fly? I know Messerschmidt did a lot of design work, but I'm not sure they ever cut sheet aluminium. Anyways, its a step-sister, the 155 in her name tells you that. :p And Bv.155s are cousins.

Isn't the Bv.155c supposed to have an annular radiator like Fw.190D? Everything I find on web has big shark mouth.

Messerschmitt was over committed by 1943, so the RLM had Blohm und Voss take over the project.
Blohm und Voss was not satisfied with Messerschmitt's design and redesigned the 155, so it kept the RLM's assigned number, but had the BV prefix.

The RLM did the same thing to Messerschmitt's Me163, handing the project off to Junkers. In this case, Junkers created an entirely new design based on the Me163C, so the RLM designated it the Ju248.

Why are you calling the Bf 109T a sailplane anyhow?
I'm curious too. I expect it's due to the greater wingspan on the T so that it can fly slower for carrier ops.

The Bf 109T's span of 11.08 m (36.35 ft) is significantly wider than the Bf 109G's 9.925 m (32 ft 7 in). See below, T variant above, showing the much increased, glider-like span. The naval variant thus likely had a much lower stall speed, like a glider.

Bf109T_3Seiten_neu.jpg

The Bf 109T has to have one of the largest wingspan to length ratios for single-engined piston fighters. It's approaching Ta 152 or Ki-100 territory.

bf109g10.gif

Last edited:
I think a sliding bubble top canopy would have been vital for deck landing. The pilots line of sight would mean the flight deck would be invisible for the final approach.

I think a sliding bubble top canopy would have been vital for deck landing. The pilots line of sight would mean the flight deck would be invisible for the final approach.
Flight deck was invisible for F4U Corsairs on final - they used turning approach to keep the flight deck in sight until last moments and then committed themselves. I suspect Me.109T would have needed to do the same.

"sailplane" is a bit of hyperbole, bit of irony. Like the giant John being referred to as Little by Robin Hood. Or a 5'9" lady being referred to as "runt" - in her case, all her brothers and sister are over 6', so she is the little one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back