What War Movie Would You Show Your Son or Daughter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I was younger the 1st time I saw "Dawn Patrol" with Erol Flynn, David Niven and Basil Rathbone it had a big effect on me. The scene where the squadron commander laments about how hard it is to find the words for his letters to the next of kin of all the lost pilots, and how his assistant notes that "No matter how you word it, it'll break their hearts just the same" (or something along those lines) still sticks in the back of my mind every time there is talk of military action, to this day :cry2:

When I was younger the 1st time I saw "Dawn Patrol" with Erol Flynn, David Niven and Basil Rathbone it had a big effect on me. The scene where the squadron commander laments about how hard it is to find the words for his letters to the next of kin of all the lost pilots, and how his assistant notes that "No matter how you word it, it'll break their hearts just the same" (or something along those lines) still sticks in the back of my mind every time there is talk of military action, to this day :cry2:
It'[s a rare national leader, responsible for sending those boys to die who also once had to write those letters. Dwight Eisenhower certainly.

I am planning on watching 'Danger Close' Battle of Long Tan with my older teenagers.
The helicopter they used in the movie was the actual helicopter that did the ammo drop during the battle.

It seems most, if not all, of the "good" war movies have been mentioned already, but I'm partial to "A Bridge Too Far" as it was playing in the post theater when I went to Jump School at Ft. Benning, and I spent 3.5 years in the 82nd. Abn. Div. No doubt that colors my opinion 'slightly'. A few years ago, I gave away my VHS copy of that movie, and a copy of the book, to a nephew who had expressed interest in such things.

Tora, Tora, Tora - for historical accuracy relative to other movies

12 O'Clock High - for real experiences of aircrews shown

633 Squadron - for conveying the courage required and the number of lives sacrificed

Battle of Britain - all of the above

Catch 22 (earlier version with Alan Arkin) - for conveying many truths about war that are seldom addressed in movies

The Blue Max - good lesson on unchecked ambition

Last edited:
I just used P-80 to make a point. IIRC, the movie used F9F Panthers.
And in Michener's book (better than the movie) it was F2H Banshees.
I choose to break the "aviation rule" and go with "Das Boot", "Private Ryan", "Cross of Iron", "Catch 22" (original), "Deer Hunter", "Apocalypse Now", both Iwo Jimas ("Flags" and "Letters") and "Tora Tora". All in one sitting. Part of war is combat fatigue. The kid should go away with a bad taste in the mouth about war.

I choose to break the "aviation rule" and go with "Das Boot", "Private Ryan", "Cross of Iron", "Catch 22" (original), "Deer Hunter", "Apocalypse Now", both Iwo Jimas ("Flags" and "Letters") and "Tora Tora". All in one sitting. Part of war is combat fatigue. The kid should go away with a bad taste in the mouth about war.
You missed a Tora!

Unfortunately my kid watched all three of the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in one sitting. He's got more stamina than me.

This is heavily subjective, but here is my question.

The other day my son and I decided to watch Midway. My son is very much a film aficionado and I have a graduate minor concentration in film criticism so we usually watch movies with a sharp eye. Twenty minutes in, we both are under impressed by the movie and I made the comment that there were far better aviation war movies and we paused Midway to watch Twelve O'Clock High and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. One thing we both picked up on is that the soldiers/airman all acted like they new what war was and seemed invested differently than current actors do.

Made me wonder, if you were to recommend and aviation based war movie. What would it be and why?
Great idea for a thread. For 20 years I taught a course called 20th Century War Lit. I included some films. Every year I'd struggle with what to do for WWII. Das Boot, The Battle of San Pietro, Let There Be Light, Memphis Belle (the original) and Thunderbolt were always contenders.

well , the Blue Max , and certainly All Quiet on the Western Front , also Dr Strangelove (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) . And very important to me , if I may include the "Cold War" then certainly 100% : One Two Three (with James Cagney , hilarious !!!)

Certainly kind of a Science Fiction Movie, but interesting aviation and war aspects: The Final Countdown

"Bridges at Toko Ri" featured the F9F-5, F2H-3, AD-4 and of course, Mickey Rooney's HO3S-1.
Interesting enough, in the original book the aircraft were the F2H Banshees. I guess the F9Fs were more available for the movie. Also, interestingly, on the scene of the carrier docking in Japan, all the F9Fs were the WW2 dark blue whereas the F2Hs were the more modern light gray and white. I think this is a transition period.

Interesting enough, in the original book the aircraft were the F2H Banshees. I guess the F9Fs were more available for the movie. Also, interestingly, on the scene of the carrier docking in Japan, all the F9Fs were the WW2 dark blue whereas the F2Hs were the more modern light gray and white. I think this is a transition period.
I also recall seeing a TBM in a couple of the scenes aboard the carrier. It was parked in back, but easy to spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back