What War Movie Would You Show Your Son or Daughter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"if you were to recommend and aviation based war movie. What would it be and why? "
NOT "Air Strike".
NOT "Pearl Harbor".
Hot Shots I & II would be better, at least they're supposed to not be taken seriously.
But on the plus side: Flyboys and Tora! Tora! Tora!

"Tora Tora Tora" and "Battle of Britain" for accuracy, and general effort put into production, ( In BoB, can you imagine being on set behind scenes listening to Douglas Bader and Adolf Galland talk to one another amongst others..)

For films that are aviation related but are more dramatic, yet are better at conveying the sense of peril, war time urgency, humanity:
"Command Decision", "Dambuster's", "12 O'Clock High", "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" ( I still get hyped watching the scenes in 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, where the B-25's are running their engines up to take off power with he brakes on while first attempting the landing field short take off's.), and "Memphis Belle".

Then there are the propaganda films:
"Air Force" ( kinda surprised it wasn't mentioned, early B-17's, with Harey Carey Sr. and Paul Garfield, the scene in flight while they listen to FDR's Declaration of War speech, Harey Carey says " I hope he tells us something about the Philippines, my boy is stationed at Clark Field" while Paul Garfield is cleaning a 1911 and smoking a cigarette. At the end of the movie when the aircraft both Army and Navy of many types are taking to attack the Japanese invasion fleet.

"Dive Bomber" with Errol Flynn, is a good "just before the war film", just looking at what's going on in the background to see the state of pre-war.

"God is My Co-Pilot", again, a drama, but my pick over "Flying Tigers".

But for a WWII drama film, it's hard to beat " Best Years of our Lives", truly an excellent film, Hollywood at it's best.

Now the movie that I had the most anticipation for but felt like the film was lacking, "Dunkirk", had I the video editing skills, I would take just the aviation scenes from the movie, and switch them to B&W, then insert the scenes into the 1958 version of "Dunkirk" with John Mills, to me that version is superior to the latest release, it was just lacking aviation scenes.

For non-aviation:

"The Longest Day"
"Fury"
"Patton"
"Saving Private Ryan"
"Kellys Heroes" on it's 50th anniversary.
"In Harm's Way"

*Adding:
"In which we Serve" a very good WWII production on the British navy, the movie itself is a time capsule, and it does feature some very good aviation footage of a JU-88.

Last edited:
But on the plus side: Flyboys...
While that movie had a great storyline and plenty of visual potential, it fell far short of the mark CGI-wise.
When the producer was asked why all the triplanes were red, he responded "so everyone knew who the Germans were".

Truth be told, few German or Austrian fighters were red and virtually no two aircraft were alike. They were colorful and unique, even factory-fresh crates were in four or five color lozenge camouflage and it was a shame that the movie did not expand on that...

When I was younger the 1st time I saw "Dawn Patrol" with Erol Flynn, David Niven and Basil Rathbone it had a big effect on me. The scene where the squadron commander laments about how hard it is to find the words for his letters to the next of kin of all the lost pilots, and how his assistant notes that "No matter how you word it, it'll break their hearts just the same" (or something along those lines) still sticks in the back of my mind every time there is talk of military action, to this day :cry2:
I just watched Dawn Patrol and, for a movie in 1938, it apparently had rotary engines in those planes. At least they kept burping the engines like you have to do on a rotary as they only had two speeds, all on and all off. I never actually saw the engine just heard the burping and that could be simulated, but that would be a very impressive attention to detail. Were there that many rotarys around in 1938?

Earlier this year I saw 1917 in the cinema and that is a very good War film (one German biplane makes an appearance)

Band of Brothers..........
Enemy at the Gate............
Finding Private Ryan............
There is No good side to war!
Band of Brothers..........
Enemy at the Gate............
Finding Private Ryan............
There is No good side to war!
Well, in my opinion, the only good war was the Russo-Japanese War of 1906. Why? Because thanks to Teddy R. (he got a Nobel for this), it never happened....

As to Aviation themed flicks, not yet mentioned is 'God is my Co-pilot', My pop was acquainted with Scott, and didn't particularly like him, but his struggles to get the film made, and then shown, would make a good movie all by itself (;^)>

A previous post mentioned the Colonel Kato film (available on YouTube, free and dubbed). It is an excellent glimpse into the life of a true ace. I definitely recommend it for the flying sequences of REAL Ki-43's !!! WW2 buffs who have only seen Hollywood productions will be surprised to learn that the IJAAF did not fly T-6's in combat (LOL).

Especially since from all accounts I've seen, they're good flyers as well as decent reproductions. More than can be said for a lot of Hollywood reproduction aircraft.
Quite a few converted BT-13s and AT-6s are still alive and well. I beleive the CAF has the majority of them, used for air shows.
Not sure what happened to the AT-6s (actually Harvard IVs) converted to Fokker D.XXIs for a Dutch film, though.

My pop was acquainted with Scott, and didn't particularly like him,
I've read his book and seen a video of an interview with him, and I don't particularly like him either. Seemed to think he was PIC and God was his FO. He got sent to CBI and became an AVG wannabe. And made the most of it. Got pretty good at tooting his own horn.

Adding to my previous comments regarding non-aviation movie choices- I recently saw two movies that were distinctly different.
First, "A Walk In The Sun" regarded by many reviewers as "so authentic". People who rated this movie as "realistic" were never in the army. The cast is remarkable but the dialog is talk, talk, talk. No GIs ever sat around talking non-stop and John Ireland even talks to himself! The actors frequently point the muzzles of their rifles at one another and the music is absolutely stupid. It is obvious that no experienced infantryman was consulted as an advisor to this movie.
Second, "The Big Red One". Lee Marvin is the lead actor and a man who was actually a combat-experienced Marine and his experience is evident. It is a far better movie.
"Decision At Dawn" is an excellent movie, well worth watching. Oskar Werner gives a wonderful performance.
"Run Silent, Run Deep" is a classic submarine movie with top-notch performances by Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster.
"From Here To Eternity" takes place in peacetime Hawaii just before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Burt Lancaster again and Montgomery Clift. Frank Sinatra made a career comeback with this film.
Comments are welcome about my choices.

The Planes of Fame still has a Vultee BT-15 converted into a Val for the 1970 Tora, Tora, Tora movie, and it still flies.

BT-15_Movie_Val_rmpg.jpg

The dorsal fin and wheel pant are fiberglass. Actually, it usually makes our annual airshow ... except for the one cancelled this year due to Covid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back