What War Movie Would You Show Your Son or Daughter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not a movie, but the old NBC series "Victory at Sea" is pretty good. They cover a lot more than the Pacific or CBI, theaters, too. I drag that DVD set out whenever I get bored. The production quality is, of course, 1940's documentary quality, but the subjects are very good and interesting.
If that's the one I think it is, then I have to disagree fiercely. The sound track was too loud and endless discords; the video was not adequate without the narration, so it got turned off about episode 3.

Nice!
And whilst we're looking at aviation-related war movies starring Sir Michael Cain, when I was a lad I really enjoyed A Bridge Too Far.

There were five additional future Knights in that film...

Sir Dirk Bogarde
Sir Thomas Sean Connery
Sir Philip Anthony Hopkins
Sir Laurence Olivier
Sir Richard Attenborough

I wouldn't want to be a Red Shirt on an away mission with a half dozen Knights. You're not coming back.
Sean Connery passed today, age 90. My favourite Bond.

Sean Connery: James Bond actor dies aged 90

That leaves just two Knights from A Bridge Too Far; Sirs Anthony Hopkins and Michael Caine.

Penguin;

The bad video transfer of "Victory At Sea" was not the fault of the series, it was a poor video production of a great series.

The patriotic series was originally produced by & shown on NBC-TV in the early Fifties. NBC even had their own orchestra back then. NBC has sure gone to hell since then.

Our neighbor growing up was on the USS Laffey when it was on patrol as a radar picket ship, the closest one to Japan. Known as "the ship that would not die" it was featured on one of the "Dogfight" episodes. He was in the 5" turret that was struck by a Kamikaze. We were told that of the 25 men manning the turret, he and one other were the only ones to come out alive. My brother said that he never wanted to talk about it. Pix from Wiki.
View attachment 592466
The USS Laffey is on display in the harbor in Charleston, South Carolina, along with the old Yorktown (CV10). In that turret there is a dramatic presentation about the attack. It is well worth a visit!

Attachments

• USS Laffee DD-724 & Joline.jpg
    USS Laffee DD-724 & Joline.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 39
  • USS Laffee DD-724.jpg
    USS Laffee DD-724.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 44
It seems most, if not all, of the "good" war movies have been mentioned already, but I'm partial to "A Bridge Too Far" as it was playing in the post theater when I went to Jump School at Ft. Benning, and I spent 3.5 years in the 82nd. Abn. Div. No doubt that colors my opinion 'slightly'. A few years ago, I gave away my VHS copy of that movie, and a copy of the book, to a nephew who had expressed interest in such things.

I re-watched "A Bridge Too Far" recently and it just reinforced my opinion of it- a confusing disjointed ensemble of film clips joined together haphazardly. Also, the military aspects of the small unit actions were absurd. That, plus my dislike for Dirk Bogard, clinches the deal- thumbs down!

Now, having said that, in honor of the 82nd ABN here is a photo of a St Mere Eglise stained-glass church window in Normandy that memorializes the American airborne troops. Notice the fine print at the bottom of the window. "They Have Come Back"

Attachments

• 37 St Mere Eglise- Church Window.jpg
    37 St Mere Eglise- Church Window.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
I re-watched "A Bridge Too Far" recently and it just reinforced my opinion of it- a confusing disjointed ensemble of film clips joined together haphazardly. Also, the military aspects of the small unit actions were absurd. That, plus my dislike for Dirk Bogard, clinches the deal- thumbs down!

Now, having said that, in honor of the 82nd ABN here is a photo of a St Mere Eglise stained-glass church window in Normandy that memorializes the American airborne troops. Notice the fine print at the bottom of the window. "They Have Come Back"

The whole of Market-Garden WAS a disjointed mess, just read anything written in unit archives or histories. It's probably not Cornelius Ryan's fault that they followed the book pretty closely, but since the whole thing was a horrible mess (this is NOT due to the troops, but the idiots who conceived the whole thing). The troops did what they could, with what they had. Everything was stacked against them from the start. It's a miracle they got so much accomplished under the circumstances.

Penguin;

The bad video transfer of "Victory At Sea" was not the fault of the series, it was a poor video production of a great series.

The patriotic series was originally produced by & shown on NBC-TV in the early Fifties. NBC even had their own orchestra back then. NBC has sure gone to hell since then.
I'd like to find an original. Hopefully the "music" track is different and not so loud compared to the voice.

The voice and the spoken word was fine. The "music" was endless discords that grated my nerves totally. A recording/editing of the series without music at all would be a grand improvement.
Amazing that each of us have such different impressions. For me, the score for 'Victory at Sea' was the best of all time for a series.

Amazing that each of us have such different impressions. For me, the score for 'Victory at Sea' was the best of all time for a series.
It was impressive I agree, but if we're talking just the musical score, Band of Brothers is VERY tough to beat, every part of that score can choke me up if I'm not careful.

Here's proof, watch that and not be touched -->

That's Louis Norley's daughter in the back seat. The five guys lined up in front of the wing at (appropriately 51 seconds) gets me EVERYTIME.

Aviation? Twelve O'Clock High and Command Decision - but BoB was pretty good at communicating the intensity and desperation of the struggle.

Non Aviation - for me, Band of Brothers.

Score - Victory at Sea and Band of Brothers - but I grew up on VAS in the 50's and never, ever get tired of listening to it. It's funny however that the score for Gladiator always reminds me of a theme suited for different stages of 8th AF

Last edited:
I figured that had to be the case from your previous "dislike". I wonder if we have the same publication: 4 DVDs? 3? VHS? "Collectors' Edition"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back