What War Movie Would You Show Your Son or Daughter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I figured that had to be the case from your previous "dislike". I wonder if we have the same publication: 4 DVDs? 3? VHS? "Collectors' Edition"?
I didn't intentionally give you a dislike - I will look and change.

Just looked - no 'dislike' from me or anyone that I could see.

I figured that had to be the case from your previous "dislike". I wonder if we have the same publication: 4 DVDs? 3? VHS? "Collectors' Edition"?
I actually agree with you, the sound on the DVD was terrible, it seems the technicians in charge of that part of the transfer were out to lunch that day. My copy is almost un-listenable... if that's a word. Pity too because as drgondog says, it's a magnificent score.

I actually agree with you, the sound on the DVD was terrible, it seems the technicians in charge of that part of the transfer were out to lunch that day.
Common problem with today's digital "remasters" of original analog recordings. Audio recorded in the early days of monaural vaccum tube "Hi-Fi" was mixed and reproduced for playback on machines with a much "rounder" sound and lacking the extreme audio bandwidth and dynamic range of today's solid state surround sound powerhouses.
Today's hotshot young digital audio engineers tend to listen to the "old stuff" and complain it lacks "punch" and "presence" and then set out to correct those deficiencies. The result tends to sound "jarring" and "discordant" to us geezers listening on anything less than studio grade equipment, or with consumer or "prosumer" class speakers or headsets. We don't WANT to hear every little harmonic and sub-harmonic and stage reverb we never heard in our youth.
I grew up listening to a particular performance of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture by Antal Dorati and the Philadelphia Philharmonic, complete with live recorded cannon fire and carillon bells, on my parents' 1955 monophonic, vaccum tube Magnavox "Hi-Fi". A couple weeks ago I heard the same recording "digitally remastered" on a neighbor's $5000 home theater system and thought it sucked. He had snagged it out of the bargain bin at Walmart and thought he'd made a great find. Rare for me, I kept my mouth shut.

Last edited:
Ages ago (like, many decades), I installed car audio systems and to sound-check and/or adjust the equalizer-booster settings (and fader), I used classical music that was direct audio recorded, not digitally remastered or "enhanced" with Dolby.
Some of the works I used was Tocata and Fuge in D minor, movements from the Jupiter symphony and even parts of Die Valkure.
The guys would rib me, but if the system could handle such complex music, it could handle anything.

I actually agree with you, the sound on the DVD was terrible, it seems the technicians in charge of that part of the transfer were out to lunch that day. My copy is almost un-listenable... if that's a word. Pity too because as drgondog says, it's a magnificent score.
My copy has a superb sound track....

A late answer
-BoB,
-The Way to the Stars, almost no aerial scenes but on the life at a RAF station, later given to the USAAF and nearby pub. It gives good picture how expensive the war was in human lives and how the war "ate" m3n.
-Angels One Five, saw it as a child, one of the reasons I began to be interesting in the history of aerial warfare. That was over half a century ago but I still remember a vic of Hurricanes and a smoking rear fuselage of a crashed Bf 110.
-Blue Max, WWI movie, if the son/daughter is mid teen or older, some sexy scenes. Also plenty of aerial combat
-Dark Blue World was not bad
-Dunkirk, also its air combat parts are good.

This is heavily subjective, but here is my question.

The other day my son and I decided to watch Midway. My son is very much a film aficionado and I have a graduate minor concentration in film criticism so we usually watch movies with a sharp eye. Twenty minutes in, we both are under impressed by the movie and I made the comment that there were far better aviation war movies and we paused Midway to watch Twelve O'Clock High and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. One thing we both picked up on is that the soldiers/airman all acted like they new what war was and seemed invested differently than current actors do.

Made me wonder, if you were to recommend and aviation based war movie. What would it be and why?
'The Fallen', a little known, independently made film that is the most accurate depiction of the American experience of ground combat in the European theater to date that I have seen so far. Worth an 'Honorable Mention' is 'Memorial Day' (2012).
The HBO movie 'The Pacific' is unsuitable for younger viewers; in fact it is actually 'toned down' by the film makers as an accurate depiction was considered unsuitable for older viewers.

Last edited:
'The Fallen', a little known, independently made film that is the most accurate depiction of the American experience of ground combat in the European theater to date that I have seen so far. Worth an 'Honorable Mention' is 'Memorial Day' (2012).
The HBO movie 'The Pacific' is unsuitable for younger viewers; in fact it is actually 'toned down' by the film makers as an accurate depiction was considered unsuitable for older viewers.
I looked that one up and it sounds excellent, but it's apparently not available anywhere in the US for (legal) viewing. I was ready to pay $$$ to watch it on Amazon or whatever because a good war movie is a rare pleasure. The plot of this one sounds superb. I guess I'll have to pursue some other clandestine method if I want to watch it which is a shame because I'd like to throw the filmmakers a bone...

I looked that one up and it sounds excellent, but it's apparently not available anywhere in the US for (legal) viewing. I was ready to pay $$$ to watch it on Amazon or whatever because a good war movie is a rare pleasure. The plot of this one sounds superb. I guess I'll have to pursue some other clandestine method if I want to watch it which is a shame because I'd like to throw the filmmakers a bone...
The Fallen (2004) directed by Ari Taub. Available at Amazon DVD movies. Also available on ebay but those are from overseas sellers.

Seems to be available as a DvD cheap, hopefully not one of those 'region restricted' ones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back