What War Movie Would You Show Your Son or Daughter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Empire Strikes Back.

C102F0F6-5482-47C9-8268-8F3FE574AECA.gif

I sadly cannot say my military service was either glorious or splendid.

But I do know what tired and hungry and fatigued and exhausted means.

If a war film isn't wall to wall blood and guts then is it really a war film?

Sanitized for the general public.

My favourite or at least most memorable film is Once Were Warriors starring Boba Fett.

It is so real. Absolutely terrible real. It's a horror film because it deals with real events and the true monsters are not werewolves but ourselves.

I doubt if will ever watch it again.

Research Mel Gibson.

You will find exactly what type of hero he is.
That's the usual debate of separating the man from the artist.

Is Mel Gibson a PoS as a person? Don't know him but by his public opinions and acts, probably.

As an actor and director, is he worth? For me yes, I absolutly enjoy many of his films on either side of the camera.

I prefer to separate the author from its plays.

Thought of a couple more non-aviation related, Battleground and To Hell and Back. To Hell and Back was Audie Murphy's story, though it is quite sanitized. Murphy was amazingly fearless. Battleground was from 1949, I think, I could look it up, yes, '49 and is about the 101st at Bastogne. I've seen both several times and still get sucked in if they are on.

Thought of a couple more non-aviation related, Battleground and To Hell and Back. To Hell and Back was Audie Murphy's story, though it is quite sanitized. Murphy was amazingly fearless. Battleground was from 1949, I think, I could look it up, yes, '49 and is about the 101st at Bastogne. I've seen both several times and still get sucked in if they are on.
Both excellent and capture the personalities and comradeship of the G.I. with out the gore.

Only one earlier mention of '633 Squadron'?

What Schweik said. Depends entirely on the child's age--huge difference between, say, 7 and 17.
But
For ANYBODY contemplating a military venture, let alone a career, I'd close nominations with
PATHS OF GLORY.
It should be mandatory viewing annually at every military academy.

To quote a longtime friend, "My brother was an expendable asset and the U.S. Government expended him somewhere across a line on a map."

Aviation just FWIW:
(None from WW I though Blue Max has The Towel Scene, for young adult males...)
Battle of Britain
Task Force
The Hunters
Flight of the Intruder
(I'd like to recommend a combat helo movie but none I recall were specifically devoted to choppers. So I'll go with Black Hawk Down, another Message Film.)

Battle of Britain and Tora! Tora! Tora! are my top flying WW2 movies. A flying movie one can take a date to is "Always." Enough romance for the date and lots of flying, with no war stuff, for the guys. Some humor, too. It is basically a remake of the 1943 black & white "A Guy Named Joe" which had a non believable plot but plenty of early wartime fighters.

Today, March 22nd, some good movies on TCM today, Air Force, Thirty Seconds over Tokyo, the scene in Air Force when FDR is speaking to Congress, the scene when the B-17 throttles up to make it's emergency take off, but the montage of Allied aircraft responding to the call to attack the Japanese convoy shows several aircraft. In Thirty Seconds.. the practicing of short field take offs, the B-25's engines screaming and pulling against the brakes.. " Brother that take off was strictly for the birds..you took off like an old lady in a high wind".

And the movie just before "Air Force" is "Battleground." Watch for my favorite line where the non combat G.I. is told how to use the M-1 Garand on his way to the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back