What War Movie Would You Show Your Son or Daughter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems to be available as a DvD cheap, hopefully not one of those 'region restricted' ones...
I gave up on region restricted a long time ago. Whenever I replace my players I shop for the 'All Region' types.

For those that are L-Bird lovers, Mission over Korea has a bit of original Korean War L-5 footage. The movie itself is not that good, but the combat footage is worth sitting thru it.

I really like "Murphy's War" with Peter O'Toole and the Grumman J2F Duck, it has an excellent story and great flying sequences. Murphy's War - Wikipedia
I have seen a number of movies showing seaplanes and flying boats taking off and landing on water; I find the scene of the J2F in 'Murphy's War' when he's trying to take off the most dramatic and visually impressive of all of those.

I still like "Battleground" (1949) for It's portrayal of comradeship, diversity, training and spirit. It shows fear, and overcoming that fear, as well as the cowardice in some. For the younger viewers, there is no graphic blood and guts but death and loss is there. It is however an old B&W film but the equipment is authentic. The theme of the plot is Battle of the Bulge and my favorite line is when a kitchen G.I. is given an M.1 on the way up front says, "How does this work? I ain't fired anything since the 03." The other G.I. says, "This is a clip fed, gas operated, semi automatic. .30 caliber..." "Look, yuh ain't selling it to me, how does it work?" " Oh, you just pull this back, push in the clip and it's ready."

There were some great flying sequences in Catch-22, including the massed B-25 takeoff.

In any case, Path of Glory should be on any war movie should-watch list. I'd probably add The Deer Hunter. and Enemy at the Gates

Not sure it it's been mentioned but one of the greatest WWII movies was a 1959 West German film called "Die Brücke" (The Bridge) about 7 16 year old boys defending a worthless bridge in their village at the end of WWII. Only one survives in the end. The end credits say: 'This event occurred on April 27, 1945. It was so unimportant that it was never mentioned in any war communique.'

Absolutely devastating picture of war from the romance of children to the reality of meaningless death.

I still like "Battleground" (1949) for It's portrayal of comradeship, diversity, training and spirit. It shows fear, and overcoming that fear, as well as the cowardice in some. For the younger viewers, there is no graphic blood and guts but death and loss is there. It is however an old B&W film but the equipment is authentic. The theme of the plot is Battle of the Bulge and my favorite line is when a kitchen G.I. is given an M.1 on the way up front says, "How does this work? I ain't fired anything since the 03." The other G.I. says, "This is a clip fed, gas operated, semi automatic. .30 caliber..." "Look, yuh ain't selling it to me, how does it work?" " Oh, you just pull this back, push in the clip and it's ready."
One of my favorite war movies as well, also if I'm not mistaken they used actual combat recorded either during the real BotB or sometime near that. Distant artillery especially and I think the small arms is all the real MacCoy.

Not sure it it's been mentioned but one of the greatest WWII movies was a 1959 West German film called "Die Brücke" (The Bridge) about 7 16 year old boys defending a worthless bridge in their village at the end of WWII. Only one survives in the end. The end credits say: 'This event occurred on April 27, 1945. It was so unimportant that it was never mentioned in any war communique.'

Absolutely devastating picture of war from the romance of children to the reality of meaningless death.
Is that the one where the boys were led by an old man of the volkssturm armed only with Panzerfausts?

Yeah, the old guy wants to buy time till the engineers can blow up the bridge but gets killed and then the Americans show up and most of the kids are killed before the Americans retreat after a tank is destroyed. Then the engineers show up and call the kids idiots which leads to more gun fire and only one surviving traumatized kid.

Yeah, the old guy wants to buy time till the engineers can blow up the bridge but gets killed and then the Americans show up and most of the kids are killed before the Americans retreat after a tank is destroyed. Then the engineers show up and call the kids idiots which leads to more gun fire and only one surviving traumatized kid.
Ok, I saw it ages ago.
It is certainly worth watching!

While it's not WWII, the movie "Gettysburg" was well done.
I recall hearing (shortly after it was released) that "if it had been any more detailed, CNN would have covered it".
There are a number of good scenes in that movie. One of my favorites is when the Sergeant is complaining to the Colonel that as their Commander, he should not be down in the dust leading his horse like an ordinary infantryman.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but, I'm pretty sure it's all navy birds- no P-80s or F-86s that I can recall. However, I might not be able to remember them for the sight of Grace Kelley. She just keeps stealing the scene-even when she isn't in it...
It's all Panthers, a few AD's and a HO3S.

Anything except Iranian garbage propaganda ones.

I can name a dozen from different countries ...

Minefield (Danish War Movie) could be another great war movie about children soldiers and their fates ...

Katyn (Polish War Movie) about genocides and war crimes ...

So many more to mention ... But I watch these 2 on a regular monthly basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back