What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you kind sir. Off to paint the yellow (groooooaaan) under surface. I notice that the wing guns will have to be removed as well.

Capture6.JPG

I'm thinking this is a colorized photo. I don't have the unit badge on the tail. If I can't find it or make it, the model will be depicted as just seconds before the badge was added.

Geo

You are right. The underwing fairings of the MG FF cannons were removed. Or the wings are from another Bf 109E-(1 ?). It seems the kite was a mix one.

DG200.jpg

DG200_1.jpg

dg200_2.jpg

Yep.. I found the same info. According to one of references the Bf 109E got the tail section from Bf 109E W.N.6313. Also one of wings required replacing. Looking at these pics above I would say both of them were replaced. I have checked on the Bf 109 of the Werk Nummer 6313. It was Bf109E-1/B White G. And I wouldn't be surprised the both of wings were takne from the plane too. Here a couple of shots I found via the net.

Bf109E-1B Wn6313_1.jpg

Bf109E-1B Wn6313_2.jpg

The E-3 had the same cannon bulges there. Both wings looked exactly the same. Here two shots of the AE749 undersides.

AE479_02.jpg

AE479_01.jpg

Outstanding Wojtek, AE749 it is then. Last question, would it also have been painted yellow on the bottom? I'm not very good at interpreting B/W photos though I think yellow was a standard practice with captured aircraft.

Geo

IMHO the undersides were of the yellow. But judging by these shots of bottom areas of the plane , quite dirty, especially at the fusealge.
Additionally the image of her tops reveals the quite big, yellow square of the gas detector and a couple of differences of the camo colours at the ailerons/flaps areas.

AE749_3.jpg

I'm not sure whether it is an origin, colour image taken in the USA but it can confirm the yellow colour of undersides.

AE749_4.jpg

Found another site that says the aircraft was and E-3, white 1. It says the newer canopy and tail were replaced following an accident at the A&AEE at Boscombe Down on January 5, 1941. No mention of other parts replaced.

Geo

Yes found the same info too. Of course we can say it is the light trick because of the fabric skin of the ailerons and flaps. Anyway there are traces of fresh re-paiting at a couple of areas. That may be suggested by the dark spot at the starboard wing tip.

It is very likely. In "Militaria i Faktyng" magazine no.49 the replacig of the tail is also mentioned. However the the extent of the work done isn't known. But both shots of the undersides in the post #5786 show the different shades of the stabilizers and elevators.

Time to paint. At some point in it's captured career it had fresh paint so that's the way she will be, moderately weathered after the new parts were installed. Thank you very much for your input Wojtek, always greatly appreciated.

Geo

Mmmmmmm....yellow...

004.JPG

Upon further browsing, I found that the French repainted the aircraft first and when it was handed over to the British, it was re-repainted. Might this be the discrepancy in the colors. I used the RGB numbers/letters on Paint4models.com to make these. Not gospel but note the difference...

Untitled.jpg

For some reason, I can't get onto Urban's Color Reference Charts anymore. It would be a shame if were shut down.

Geo

Last edited:
Those are the links I have but when I tried to access yesterday a page popped up saying I wasn't authorized to visit the site. I can get to the site now but when I go to a country and click on a number, I get this...

z.JPG

Might be a site maintenance thing on their end. Anyhoo....I notice there is now a unit badge below the windscreen since it's arrival in the U.S. Painting little bits while the yellow dries.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back