What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I see. Check if your net browser is updated. Also the Windows. I think it is the reason.

Used 3 browsers, nothing. Firefox was just recently updated this week. On with the show. While waiting for the paint to dry, I dug out another hangar queen. http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/modeling/unfinished-kits-38673.html#post1063534

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

The problem here was the fit of the fuselage(?) to the wings and the fit of the cockpit floor. I managed to grind and shoehorn the floor in and it's drying. I found two builds on-line that also mention the terrible fit. One guy gave up on the sidewalls completely. As they won't be seen, I'll probably do that as well. The wing/fuselage join will need some serious filing. All the extremities are butt joins though I had no problems mounting the upper tail surface. One builder mentioned the poor fit of the vacform canopy. We'll see how far this gets.

Geo

Well, that didn't take long to put back in the hanger. RAF 109 on hold until I get some dark earth next week. In the meantime, playing around with the port wing in the photo Wojtek posted in Post #5791 above. I'm still thinking the trailing edges were in Luftwaffe colors 70/02.

296706d1436831505-whats-workbench-ae749_6.jpg
296706d1436831505-whats-workbench-ae749_61.jpg

Not sure what to make of the starboard wing. We'll say the patch on the tip is fresh Dk. Green and the other two colors are faded Dk. Green and Dk. Earth but what about the flap. It is in the up position but doesn't seem to represent the other two colors. The over head shot in Post #5788 show several shades. The aileron is in a slight up position yet still shows the colors. Puzzling. Thoughts?

Untitled.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed the freakin' upper wing roundels or whats left of them :banghead: I also noticed that while the Airfix sheet has the red in the tail flash extending to the leading edge of the tail-fin, it appears to be only 4" wide in the above photo.

Geo

Last edited:
Here enlarged both wings. As far as the starboard wing is concerned, I would say the part of the flap and the aileron there had the DG colour for the DG spot. It is possible the centre of the flap could have the colour a little bit more faded. The darker spot at the left edge of the aileron could have been repainted a little bit later too. Regarding the DE spot at the wing edge ... I'm not sure if it is correct. The pic shows the dark outline for it partially only. Also it is too dark for the colour we can undoubtedly see at the wing root and below the RAF roundel. I would say there could have been applied the DG colour in order to overpaint another colour.

portside wing1.jpg

starboard wing1.jpg

However the pic shows something like a demarcation line between DG and the DE without the "darker outline" at the right side.

new1a.jpg

And the fin flash .... according to these images it seems to be extending to the leading edge of the fin.

ogon.jpg

ogon1.jpg

ogon3.jpg

However these three ones below may suggest the Red strip being narrow indeed ...

ogon5.jpg

ogon5a.jpg

ogon5b.jpg

But this one doesn't reveal that ...

ogon5c.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff Wojtek. This bird certainly went through some changes in her career. I found this photo showing her as she arrived in the U.K with French tail markings, Luftwaffe number and RAF roundels. It also has the original cockpit canopy and antenna wire; which wasn't replaced after the accident.

Untitled.jpg

The caption says the upper wing roundels were Type A1. It might explain the lack of roundels in the above photos when in RAF possession; improper markings as it were and scrubbed off. HOWEVER, if the wings in the photos in Post #5806 were replacements, this theory is no longer valid. Preparing for camp now and when I return, I'll colorize the starboard wing to try and get an impression of what it looked like. Great help as aways Wojtek...thanks

Geo

EDIT: By the by, I can now access the color chips on the Urban Color Reference page....odd.

Last edited:
It's looks to me that the in the shots before the swastika was added to the tail the red went all the way to the leading edge. After it was added the red ended before the leading edge leaving a definite line.

Very possible, and could be the result of the changes to the specs for fin flash dimensions, which came about roughly mid 1940. Also, the port aileron looks like it could be in the original RLM 02/71, in that overhead shot.

Good gawd, more paint guess work. Nice Wojtek! What color would all the patches be? British primer? That one shot confirms the undernwing roundels. I might go with the undersized fin flash, just for the oddballiness of it and going with the Luftwaffe colors on the trailing edge. With Wojtek's help, slowly understanding the starboard wing. When I get home, I'll colorize it and submit it for your approval. Would the Dark Green on the nose be fresh paint or just a play on light. Thanks for your help guys. Greatly appreciated.

Geo

The large, angled rectangular 'patch' on the port wing is a gas detection panel, as applied to all British aircraft and vehicles at the time, which was a green-tinged yellow colour.
What appear to be fabric patches on the rudder, rear fuselage etc I would suggest would be the standard dull red, doped fabric as used by the RAF, and the tones seem to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back