What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While waiting for the decal to set in the GB, I glued the ailerons.....on and started removing the yellow paint I added some time in the forgotten past...

....must be 300 coats of white and yellow here

You could deep it in the brake fluid for some of time and then use a toothbrush to remove the paint. Wouldn't be easier to do that insted of sanding?

Last edited:
Looks like sanding but it's 1" squares of paper towel lightly dipped in nail polish remover. The rudder took about 2 minutes and this a little longer do to it being awkward to hold. To date I've stripped 3 entire 1/48 models; a P47N, a P-40N and a 190D-9 this way but they took a day or so. Adding the elevators as we speak, pics up soon. Then I'll tackle the dreaded 4 piece cowl

I'm really surprised that the nail polish didn't soften the plastic plus it has such a high vapor pressure. Brake fluid is much easier but it's looking good.
I wanted an air brush for many years but silly stuff like food, clothing, kids, and mortgage got in the way

Not sure why either. Everyone seems shocked when I mention nail polish remover but as I mentioned above, I've stripped 3 complete models without a problem; one Tamiya, one Academy and one AMT. I fold a piece of paper towel into about a one inch square, use just enough nail polish remover to get the paper damp and then scrub for about 10-15 seconds, repeat a few times and then rinse the part in water. The photo above was taken after the second scrub

Haven't added the top of the tail section yet as I have a question. Keep in mind that this is just sitting loose but there is a slight over hang on either side at the rear

I can't find a clear shot of this area but should I file this down a bit to blend it in with the rudder?

OK, now I understand. Your using minimal amounts of Acetone and in contact for short periods of time. Plus with all that paint the acetone essentially never contacts the plastic. Reminds me now of the gap-filling non-sanding removal of body putty.
Just as an aside, many nail polish removers contain oils to "nourish" nails. You can get pure acetone pretty cheaply and dilute it with water yourself to make the strength of your choosing.

Geo, have a look at the pics posted by Woodhaven in Post #35 in your 'Faber's 190' thread in the Technical section. There are a couple of shots showing the area in question.
I have clear versions of the close-up of the fin and rudder, showing the whole area, but can't post them as I'm currently working from my lap top, due to a connection problem on my PC.

Good eye Terry. Top is attached and filed a bit on the right. I attacked the 4 cowl pieces which went together better that expected. I glued the inserts to the bottom and then taped the top to the bottom to make sure everything lined up while setting. The top/bottom fit isn't perfect but it's better than shown in the photos. It may be the locating pins that are interfering.

Users who are viewing this thread