What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A pic of the paint
DSC04058.JPG

Javlin,
Sword is really nice for detail and accuracy. I've only finished the one but it was not easy (at least for me). However, " à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire." or somethin' like that.

Was that P-40 a squadron hack or was it used in service that color? It looks good.

Was that P-40 a squadron hack or was it used in service that color? It looks good.

It's and actual scheme according to the box Tunisia 1944 much like the ETO the Allies ruled the skies but the American boys got to play in their own personal hotrod given to them by the USG

325th FG Checkertails, "Stud", Lt. Col. Robert Baseler, Mateur, Tunisia

Baseler had five victories in this specially modified P-40F, before it was repainted the scheme you used and taken off operations. Outboard guns were removed, along with other nonessential items, to lighten it in the being able to reach high-altitude German photoreconnaissance planes, but he was never able to catch one.

The first picture shows it before the new paint job along with Baseler. Bob Hope and Frances Langford

Stud.jpg
Stud 1.jpg
Stud 2.jpg
Stud 4.jpg

That's looking sharp Kevin, and hope your health improves quickly.
It will Terry between T1/T2 injury and I had gotten down 215 lost 20lb since Christmas due to a higher than my normal protein diet(I really prefer protein) my ammonia is elevated again though not like before.I see the Doc Monday.I have the tail plane decals up top on and the nose markings on.By the way the Baltimore is about to be resurrected and I will compete with Wayno over there at the "Unofficial Ship Build" should start planking in the next week or two.:)

Just to let you all know I ACTUALLY have beed doing some modeling. I've emailed and PM a few here as I was sort of stumped on the German color Dunkelgelb. Seem simple, Dark Yellow, right...nope and yup. Seems as if the RLM never did produce a standard and manufacturers were so strapped for raw materials "close enough" became the standard. In fact Life Color has an entire 6-paint kit of various Dunkelgleb. I finally settled on Vallejo's take on Dunkelgelb in their Model Air line.
So putting it all together I've been working on a 1/35 German Maus. Two prototypes were completed and there are reports that they actually saw combat in the defense of the factory where they were made. The Meng kit is fairly simple, most of the work is in the running gear and like Jan, the #@%&%# tracks are glue together one at a time... PIA!!
IMG_1956R.jpg
IMG_1957R.jpg
IMG_1959R.jpg
IMG_1960R.jpg
IMG_1961R.jpg
IMG_1963R.jpg

Good stuff Mike. I don't know much about tanks but I'm pretty sure that the RLM had nothing to do with specifying colours for anything other than aircraft. That said I know that later German tanks did get a sandy yellow base colour from the factory that was typically enhanced with greens and browns in the field. The colour you have there looks pretty much what I'd expect of a factory delivered prototype like you are doing.

Thanks one and all. Still tough getting downstairs to my actual workroom so been working at the computer desk.
The Maus was intended to punch holes through enemy defenses in the manner of an immense "breakthrough tank", whilst taking almost no damage to any components. The general idea for such a big tank was best summed up by Heinz Guderian, saying that: "Hitler's fantasies sometimes shift into the gigantic".
The complete Maus or Panzer VIII vehicle was 10.2 meters (33 ft 6 in) long, 3.71 meters (12 ft 2 in) wide and 3.63 meters (11.9 ft) high. Weighing 188 metric tons (207 US Tons), the Maus's main armament was the Krupp-designed 128 mm KwK 44 L/55 gun (Hitler thought this gun looked like a toy in the massive Maus so it was to be replaced with a 150mm), with a coaxial 75 mm KwK 44 L/36.5 gun. The 128 mm gun was powerful enough to destroy all Allied armored fighting vehicles then in service, some at ranges exceeding 3,500 meters (2.2 mi).
The armor was substantial: the hull front was 220 millimeters (8.7 in) thick, the sides and rear of the hull were up to 190 millimeters (7.5 in). The turret armor was even thicker, the turret front was up to 240 millimeters (9.4 in) and the sides and rear 200 millimeters (7.9 in). The gun mantlet was 250 millimeters (9.8 in), and combined with the turret armor behind, the protection level at that section was even higher.
With a V12 1,200Hp diesel engine, during actual field testing, the maximum speed achieved on hard surfaces was 13 kilometers per hour (8.1 mph). The vehicle's weight made it unable to utilize most bridges, instead it was intended to ford to a depth of 2 meters (6 ft 7 in) or submerge up to a depth of 8 meters (26 ft 3 in) and used a snorkel to cross rivers. Fording required 2 tanks connected by an extension cord. While the first tank submerged and crossed, the second tank remained on the bank and supplied power to the submerged tank.

Now consider the Ratte or Landkreuzer tank. Designed at 1000 tonnes (1102 US tons), powered by two MAN V12Z32/44 24-cylinder marine diesel engines of 6,300 kW (8,400 hp) each (as used in U-boats) or eight Daimler-Benz MB 501 20-cylinder marine diesel engines of 1,500 kW (2,000 hp) each (as used in E-boats) to achieve the 12,000 kW (16,000 hp) needed to move this tank. The engines were to be provided with snorkels, also like those used by German submarines. The snorkels were designed to provide a way for oxygen to reach the engine during amphibious operations passing through deep water.
The Ratte's primary weapon would have been a dual 280 mm SK C/28 gun turret. This was the same turret that was used on the German capital ship Gneisenau. The guns used for the Ratte would have fired ammunition developed for other naval guns.
Further armament was to consist of a 128 mm anti-tank gun of the type used in the Jagdtiger or Maus, two 15 mm Mauser MG 151/15 autocannons, and eight 20 mm Flak 38 anti-aircraft guns, probably with at least four of them as a Flakvierling quad mount. The 128 mm anti-tank gun would have been mounted within a smaller secondary turret at the rear of the Ratte,
tank.JPG

Wunder Waffen. Like aircraft carriers your time, energy, and funds are so extremely costly that you needs must have an entire protective screen around them to prevent their loss in combat. If every Tiger tank produced took out 20 Shermans the German still loose

"Hans, I am haffing der great idea. We'll take Tirpitz out of der wasser, und the tracks ve vill fit, und make der biggest, hugest Panzerkampfwagen, that der Allies will make der sh*tting of themselves !"
"Ein wunderbar idea mein Fuhrer !"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back