What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers mate, but it's snap fit! Parts just need careful trimming and filing/ sanding.

Nice work on the canop

Cheers mate, but it's snap fit! Parts just need careful trimming and filing/ sanding.

Nice work on the canopy too.
oh...snap fit........me stoopid, snap fit used to be garbage. lots better now apparently. snap fit from the 60s is what I had in mind. yep, I was born during the 2nd Eisenhower administration old Navy goat here.

Last edited:
oh...snap fit........me stoopid, snap fit used to be garbage. lots better now apparently. snap fit from the 60s is what I had in mind. yep, I was born during the 2nd Eisenhower administration old Navy goat here.
Yeah, when I think of snap fit, it's the old Monogram Snap-tite kits, which were fairly basic!
This is the new stuff however, beautiful quality with tight fitting parts (mostly...some do need reinforcing with glue).

Yeah, when I think of snap fit, it's the old Monogram Snap-tite kits, which were fairly basic!
This is the new stuff however, beautiful quality with tight fitting parts (mostly...some do need reinforcing with glue).
Sounds good and I would say some of the new Airfix kits are getting close to snap-on, I've found the fit of some parts fitting so tight one could almost forget the glue.

Personally I prefer Tamiya white and cotton swabs dipped in finger nail polish remover to clean it up with. Gotta be gentle but it will clean up without losing any detail as long as you don't overdo it. It can be used on the putty wet or dry.

THat's a good method Don, especially if you mask the outer edges of the gap to keep it even cleaner.
Personally I use Mr. Surfacer these days, usually 1000 grade. It does sink a bit on drying and you my need to hit the spot a few times (depending on depth of gap), but it is very easy to apply: brushes on like paint.

Use the taimya white, should have filled before paint, as gap didn't show up as bad before painting. Afterwards didn't want to go to hard on sanding as yellow doesn't go on well. Did use pink base coat, as was recommended to be better by local hobby shop owner

Users who are viewing this thread