What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

yes sealed, I ran out of patience. spent quite a bit of time trying to correct. Could I have done this differently? any suggestions in regard to a different kit or decals on my next H 91-A? thanks for your patience constructive criticism, very kind of you:)

Humm .. if sealed there is no way to correct that using the already applied decal markings. The only way is to overpaint them and apply the another, correct decals set and seal these new ones again.

What do you mean by "a different kit or decals on my next H 91-A" ? 1/48 scale for the AVG ?

I mean is there a better kit available. I give up on this one. I do not know if there is a better decal set for the trumpeter.

yes, Trumpeter 1:48 H-81A-2 (AVG) I feel like I am too obsessive about this, bet a lot of modelers share this trait;) have you built this plane? i would like to use as reference.

Last edited:
Wow, you found it, I looked for hours for 'white 38" so my model shark jaw gobbler is inaccurate. unfortunately, there's no correcting my model now, generic decals are probably no improvement. could I have positioned the decal differently? it seems to be too short, the nose end looks good as the teeth are under the engine enclosure but the bottom stripe sucks. any accurate kits available? thanks so much.View attachment 748895
Looks pretty awesome to me.

yes, Trumpeter 1:48 H-81A-2 (AVG) I feel like I am too obsessive about this, bet a lot of modelers share this trait;) have you built this plane? i would like to use as reference.

No I haven't built the kit. My scale is the 1/72. However I'm not sure if the kit is in my stash still waiting for assembling.

OK. If you want, try to find and give a try to :

if you are going to continue the AVG series ... these two first Bronco kits contain the decal sheets with the shark jaws markings for each of 6 marking options coming with the kits. So you may choose, fit and use one of them to finish the Trumpeter one. However the kits may be quite expensive.

Bronco FB4009 Curtiss Hawk 81-A2 AVG - x6 AVG decal markings
Bronco FB4006 Curtiss P-40C (Hawk 81-A2) AVG "Flying Tigers" - x6 AVG decal markings
Bronco FB4007 Curtiss Mk.IIB Tomahawk (P-40C) - x6 decal markings for the RAF/RAAF Tomahawks including the ETO, N.Africa and Egipt.
Bronco FB4008 Curtiss P-40C Warhawk Fighter US Army Air Force, Pearl Harbor and other theatre - x7 ( 6 USA markings +1 AVG )

The cheaper alternative may be the Airfix kits. Both of them come with two decal markings for each kit. The first one with the 2x RAF markings while the second one with the Pearl Harbour one and the AVG kite. If you don't want the another AVG model you may use its shark jaws for finishing of the Trumpeter model while the Airfix model may be completed as the Pearl Harbour plane.

Airfix 05133 Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.II x 2 ( RAF ETO + N.Africa)
Airfix 05130A Curtiss P-40B Warhawk x2 ( Pearl Harbour + AVG )

As far as decals go there are a "BAZZION" of them. Just go to evilbay and put in 1/48 P-40 and you'll be flooded! when I did my Robert L. Scott P-40E I found a set from a decal company called Sky. they provided markings for something like 12-15 aircraft in AVG and it's after (the 23rd).

As far as kits go, I've done the AMTech with is a repop of the old AMT/Ertl and though dated I found it enjoyable and not to hard to build. I got Eduard cockpits for them and they came out nice.

2023-11-25_15-41-58_714.jpeg

and as Wojetk pointed out. the Airfix kit.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As far as decals go there are a "BAZZION" of them. Just go to evilbay and put in 1/48 P-40 and you'll be flooded! when I did my Robert L. Scott P-40E I found a set from a decal company called Sky. they provided markings for something like 12-15 aircraft in AVG and it's after (the 23rd).

As far as kits go, I've done the AMTech with is a repop of the old AMT/Ertl and though dated I found it enjoyable and not to hard to build. I got Eduard cockpits for them and they came out nice.

View attachment 748899
and as Wojetk pointed out. the Airfix kit.
I have come across the decals you mentioned, they fit the model I have? I was not sure if the fuselage decals would play nice with my particular model but based on your info I will purchase some . thank you for your help.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No I haven't built the kit. My scale is the 1/72. However I'm not sure if the kit is in my stash still waiting for assembling.

OK. If you want, try to find and give a try to :

if you are going to continue the AVG series ... these two first Bronco kits contain the decal sheets with the shark jaws markings for each of 6 marking options coming with the kits. So you may choose, fit and use one of them to finish the Trumpeter one. However the kits may be quite expensive.

Bronco FB4009 Curtiss Hawk 81-A2 AVG - x6 AVG decal markings
Bronco FB4006 Curtiss P-40C (Hawk 81-A2) AVG "Flying Tigers" - x6 AVG decal markings
Bronco FB4007 Curtiss Mk.IIB Tomahawk (P-40C) - x6 decal markings for the RAF/RAAF Tomahawks including the ETO, N.Africa and Egipt.
Bronco FB4008 Curtiss P-40C Warhawk Fighter US Army Air Force, Pearl Harbor and other theatre - x7 ( 6 USA markings +1 AVG )

The cheaper alternative may be the Airfix kits. Both of them come with two decal markings for each kit. The first one with the 2x RAF markings while the second one with the Pearl Harbour one and the AVG kite. If you don't want the another AVG model you may use its shark jaws for finishing of the Trumpeter model while the Airfix model may be completed as the Pearl Harbour plane.

Airfix 05133 Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.II x 2 ( RAF ETO + N.Africa)
Airfix 05130A Curtiss P-40B Warhawk x2 ( Pearl Harbour + AVG )
I am going to try the Bronco kits, thanks!

Good stuff guys!

Latest progress with the AT-AT. All main components assembled, awaiting some filling and sanding in a few places.
After that will be painting, then assembly and attachment of smaller components such as side cannons and some external panels.
20231126_003326.jpg

and on to the canopy masking and airbrushing, fun compared to my camo efforts. no clear kote on the canopy. From outside canopy, interior color coat first then exterior frame color. been a long time since I have done this. great therapy for my old brain;) I botched the nose gun PE, pushed one in to far. It now resides in the fuselage bottom. Going to purchase another set from Master model, the stock kit parts are poop.:meh:
PXL_20231127_040051194.jpg
PXL_20231127_034512322.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back