What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't put it in the same thread please, make a new one for each plane (just one per aircraft, so each version goes in there.). Dan will pin them for us.

Got it. I thought it should be a new thread, just makes sense. Do I need to PM Dan (AKA lesofprimus) to let him know about the new thread? By the way, yours looks good. You've set a good example to follow. I'll see how well I can do.

Venganza

Oh .... I was sure you knew. "Doska" in Russian means "board" and "strielka" means "arrow". These both names were used for calling two kinds of the Il-2 Sturmovik wings. If you look much carefully at these models you can see the difference.Of course these kinds of the Il-2 wing could be of wooden or metalic structures

Attachments

• il2.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Il2 doska.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Il2 strielka.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 24
It is interesting! I didn't even know they had diffrent wings!

Yes, two different planforms, wooden and metal covered versions for each planform, versions with all-metal structure and wooden covering on the outer wings, and versions with metal spars, wooden ribs and stringers and wooden covering on the outer wings. The "arrow" or "so strelkoi" or Strielka, had 15% sweepback on the leading edges of the outer wing, as opposed to 5% on the doska or "straight-wing" version, to correct the c.g. problems that occurred when the rear gunner was added. I'll probably go into this more in excruciating detail in the IL-2 Modelling Guide I'm working on in the Modeling, Painting Questions, Tutorials and Guidebooks section, where Catch22 already has a thread for the Corsair and I plan to add one for the IL-2 where all will be revealed. That's interesting about the names, Wurger, and nicely illustrated. Strielka I knew but I don't think I've seen the word "doska" for the straight-winger - probably because I can't read Russian. For the record, my current models are 4 doskas - 3 representing metal-wingers (the 2-seater doska represents a wooden-covered version, which I had to create by sanding down the wings - great fun), and 1 arrow, which also represents a wooden-covered version (and which I also sanded down).

Venganza

Quite some variations! As you say, Wojtek, now I know! Problem is, I don't have much knowledge of WW2 Russian aircraft, as it's an area that has not really aroused my interest. But, Russian jets, that's a different matter!!

Yep...excellent selection of the Sturmoviks here Venganza. These wooden covered Ils were typical for the early and mid aircraft.Although There were planes with a mixed structure as well.I remember my chat with a Il-2 pilot who flew them shortly after WW2.The wooden wonder was very difficult to fly.It seems that the kind of Il-2s was "a little" too heavy.

Terry these WW2 Russian aircraft are really very interesting.

ok, I just sprayed the B-25 with silver. I dunno if it's gonna look like **** when the paint dries, only time will tell. it went on kinda liquid-y. but maybe that's cos of the sunlight. I dunno.

Leave it at least 18 hours Robert. If it looks 'liquidy', it might be over-thinned, so it'll take some drying. It might need another coat, with less thinner, but DON'T try until you are sure the first paint is TOTALLY set! Before you try another coat, try it on something else first, to see if it looks like it will dry properly. And DON'T be tempted to touch the model yet - if it isn't dry, it'll leave marks that are VERY difficult to rectify.

yeah, that's true. I didn't use an airbrush this time. just a regular Testors spray enamel. the B-25 is setting outside right now. I don't wanna leave her sitting out there for too long. so I'll go back out in a few hours to check on her.

OK. With a spray can, it might be that it's been sprayed too 'heavy', or, the can might need more shaking, to mix the paint more. If it looks more or less dry, then it'll be OK to move it, CAREFULLY. But, don't try another spray until it is totally dry, otherwise it'll 'orange peel' or blister.

right, I just painted the bottom halves of the F4F wildcat and the Hawker Hurricane Flat light aircraft gray. I'm leaving them outside to dry.

Users who are viewing this thread