What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm finishing up the painting on 5, count 'em 5 1/72nd Shturmoviks. I kind of did them assembly line fashion, finishing up all the wings at one time, then on to the fuselages, etc. I've tried this assembly line technique a few times before with Spitfires and the entire Lavochkin series (LaGG-3 to La-11). Once I get the IL-2's all painted, then it's on to attaching all the fiddly bits and putting on the decals (or is it the other way around?). What fun! I've promised myself that once I get through with these IL-2's, I'm going back to my scratchbuilt IL-102 (a jet shturmovik that lost out to the Su-25). Since that's postwar, that's another story.

Venganza

refresh my memory, buddy. what's that? lol

Use a very diluted paint, can be black or brown or dark grey to make all engraved lines much more visible ( like the dirt in these lines).Then use the basic colour but of a lighter tonality ( add some white to the basic colour).Use small amount of the mixture and brush with almost a free of paint brush on all edges.In order to remove almost all the paint from the brush, use a paper towel.Simply, put the brush into the paint and then dry the brush up a little with the paper towel.AS well you can apply some silver on metal parts (edges) if it's needed

Did a bit of work on my 1/48 Airfix Mosquito FB VI today.

Word to the wise make your own wing sparrs as the area given to carry their weight is pathetic. I'm kinda paranoid about it coming apart now.

Anyway not long till a coat of silver will have it resembling an RAAF Mosquito.

Cheers.

Attachments

• mosquito1.jpg
    mosquito1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 30
  • mosquito2.jpg
    mosquito2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 40
  • mosquito3.jpg
    mosquito3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 38
Nice work Alex. I know what you man about the wing joint, but i wouldn't worry. I've done three of these, and there's no problem. i actually dropped one, and nothing happened! This kit is one of those from the better times of Airfix, When first released, it was the best, most accurate Mossie EVER, and is still very good by todays standards.

Thanks Terry and yes I've enjoyed building it! I agree it stands up to a point against my Tamiya 1/48 mossie in my stash. Infact I was rather suprised by how much interior detail it came with.

Cheers.

Well! the pics mate? Sounds good! but we want pics dammit:lol:

I was afraid someone would ask that. I need to find a camera with a soft enough focus so you can't see the myriad mistakes. Maybe if I photographed through gauze? I will try and post some pictures, though. Stay tuned!

Venganza

Use a very diluted paint, can be black or brown or dark grey to make all engraved lines much more visible ( like the dirt in these lines).Then use the basic colour but of a lighter tonality ( add some white to the basic colour).Use small amount of the mixture and brush with almost a free of paint brush on all edges.In order to remove almost all the paint from the brush, use a paper towel.Simply, put the brush into the paint and then dry the brush up a little with the paper towel.AS well you can apply some silver on metal parts (edges) if it's needed

oh, hehe uh, ok. actually, what I did was I just painted a couple parts of the boxes silver to indicate that they have locks.

unfortunately, my internet is acting up, so I have t use my stepdad's comp to reply. I've just gotta do a bit of detail work on the bombs and then I'll join the 2 halves of the fuselage together.

well, I've got the fuselage, wings, tail, engines, gear, doors all glued on. the biggest PITA for me once I'm done painting the darn thing is gonna be putting the top turret on. cause there's this base that has to go in one way, an the turret has to go in another. and using the tweezers doesn't help too much cos it just slips outta there. maybe if I glue some rubber on them?

Okay Wayne and 109, here are the picies. They aren't the greatest in the world because a) I'm not the greatest photographer, and b) I don't have the greatest camera. But here's my flight of 1/72nd IL-2's for your enjoyment. Questions and (favorable) comments are welcome (unfavorable comments will merely be tolerated). Enjoy!

Venganza

Attachments

• IL-2's WIP2 - Resized.JPG
    IL-2's WIP2 - Resized.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IL-2's WIP - Resized.JPG
    IL-2's WIP - Resized.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back