What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Can ya tell what it is yet?

My collection of plastic is actually starting to look like a Hurricane now. I will leave it all alone until the morning, then mate fuselage to wings. Hopefully tomorrow night, the camo can start going on!

Yes, it is the Airfix one. The fit is a lot better than I thought it would be, and everything goes together in a very logical fashion. To be fair, it's only one skill level up from a snap-together kit, so even I should cope with it The only let down is the decals - they are of poor quality, and the edges of the large roundels are 'frayed', for want of a better word. If you look closely, you can see little pixels of white on the edges of the blue area. I think it will be OK with a bit of Micro Set, the flecks should be hard to see once they're in place and settled. TBH, I'm not too fussed as this is more of a kit to prove I can actually build them, more than anything else!

Otherwise, there is very little flash - just a bit on the control column really, and like I say, fit is good so far, although I'm glad I have decided not to put the pilot in, as I think it would be a very tight squeeze from the looks of things! Good paint choices as well - one for 85 Squadron in France with the early war white/black undersides and de Havilland prop, and one for 32 Squadron during the BoB, with the 'Sky' undersides and Rotol prop. I've gone for 32 Squadron on this build.

Well worth the 11 quid I think 8)

i still got nothing

...well no i take that back i have a 1/72 b-29 a revile kit i just haven't goten to building it yet

Cheers fellas, since taking that pic I've toned down the gunstains a bit, pitot is fitted and the correct canopy has been painted and fitted.

Thanks to my GF for the plants on the base, we stopped off in a diner on the way back from WRC and behind each booth were large boxes filled with artificial plants and flowers. She asked me could I use some of them in my dioramas, I hadn't really thought about it. I spotted a few suitable plants I could use and she grabbed a few of them and stuck them in her pocket, I was able to modify them into what you see in that last pic. I pass that place quite a bit so now I have a limitless supply of diorama flora

cheers for the info, the airfix kit is the only 1/48 hurricane i can find but am a bit worried about it being 30ish years old now

Hasegawa have done Mks I II, and there is Classic Airframes Mk I as well, although that will most likely be pricey. Reviews are on hyperscale, a Hasegawa Hurri I in with SAAF markings is 15 quid on modelsforsale.com 8)

Karl, Muller, and Wojtek - GREAT work guys!

Wojtek, are you doing an Fw 190 A-8/R2 or R8 ? If so, which one?
I was planning on doing either A-8/R2 or R8 (yet to confirm which) W.nr. 681382 Schwarzen << + of IV (Sturm)/JG 3, or A-8/R2 W.nr. 681497 Weissen 11 of JG 4 used in Operation Bodenplatte which I'll enter for the build if it turns out alright. If you want to do either of them, I'll do the other to give a range of schemes

Karl, Hasegawa also do the Hurri in 1:48 - Hurricane Mk.I (kit no. JT 65), Mk.IIB (JT 66), Mk.IIc (JT 51), and Mk.IID (kit JT 52).

The wings are on (I'm an impatient so-and-so sometimes!), and it might be worth noting Karl, that the fit was very tight at the wing roots - a lot of careful wriggling was required. I will need some filler in afew other spots though. Will stick some piccies up when it's all dry.

Looking forward to more progress on that hurricane Bombtaxi 8) I've got a Tamiya Hurri in the stash, going to build it with Irish Air Corps markings.

Did a bit more with my corsair last night, scratchbuilt some new armoured glass (at least thats what I think it is!) in the cockpit from a plastic bottle, the kit part broke. Fitted the correct canopy, and the pitot, toned down the gun stains a bit. I might add some more foliage to the base.

My dad wants this one when its finished.

*Note the 'planks' for the 109 base to the right

Users who are viewing this thread