What's This Man's Navy Coming To ?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My grandfather was a 3 war Navy man and went out as a Master Chief in 1968. I remember rding with him as a kid back when the Navy was allowing beards and every time he saw one he's near have a heart attack and more often than not would loudly give his opionion no matter where or when.
Art in DC

This was probably around the time Zumwalt was CNO. He personally set the
US Navy back 100 years. He took the navy away from the chief and gave it
to the junior officer..... who didn't know what to do with it. Shoes went
un-shined, beard grew, hair grew, ear-rings sprang up and the navy, in
general went to hell. Zumwalt run me out of the navy, or I'd probably still
be in !

Charles

Dan: One thing I was really proud of, was my uniform. When I was attached
to the 2nd Army, in NYC on Armed Forces Police, I looked sharp. I did my
own whites, and you could cut your finger on the crease of my jumpers.
He who was chosen "AFP of The Day" got a motor patrol the next day. Man, I got lots of rides !

BTW, Dan... are you retired ?

Charles

Hawaii, being in the 14th Naval District,would probably be different, also.

There are other exceptions, too. A USN Corpsman attached to the Fleet Marines would wear the Marine uniform, with his proper rate insignia [called
a "crow"] instead of the red stripes of PFC, CPL or whatever. SeaBees also
wear greens as a working uniform.
Charles

Hey Charles, how about an update from someone who retired AFTER the "Age of Sail"...:lol: Just kidding of course. If I'm not mistaken in some tropical area such as Hawaii and Bermuda dress whites are worn year around. "Tropical Whites" (remember them?) in those areas can be with the Tropical Shorts aka Bermuda Shorts.

Your comment about the Corpsmen attached to the Marines reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw once at LCAB it said "The Marines have their Few Good Men...NAVY CORPSMEN!" Love it!!!:lol:

What might be needed is another Arleigh Burke....to shape things up.

20060918111923!Arleigh_Burke_1951.jpg

What the hell has happened to our Navy ? Don't officers care what they
look like out in public ?? Ask me if I'm disgusted......
Charles

I hope this doesn't rub anyone the wrong way. The problem is not that they are officers - but that, at least from my perspective, the Navy doesn't instill enough pride in the wear of the uniform, and customs and courtesies in general. They Navy doesn't have bad looking uniforms at all, but more often than not I see they can't even be bothered to wear shirt stays or shine boots.

Charles - you forgot flight suits! Also, enlisted Marine rank insignia worn on cammies are black too. What the heck were they doing wearing that garbage with a uniform... and why to a car dealership? We are only authorized to wear working uniforms (cammies and flight suits) to and from work.

Correct me if I'm wrong - aren't soldiers authorized to wear their cammies in public?

I have seen airmen and sailors having lunch near where I work and they are often in Cammies. I was a little surprised at that, but if it is the uniform of the day and they go out to eat, should they change? I am kind of torn about it. I will say that the ones that I have seen in cammies have all been within regs and don't look like duffel-bags.

But speaking of lack of pride, I was shocked to see the condition of this Hornet that they sent to the Riverside airshow last weekend. It was filthy. Both the Air Force and the Navy flew the heritage/legacy flights. The air Force sent 2 A-10s that were clean and sharp. The Navy sent one Hornet that showed up late and was filthy. I know sometimes things happen, especially with airplanes, but it's not like there wasn't any notice of the show.

Attachments

• DSC_8341.jpg
    DSC_8341.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 101
I agree with not wearing flight suits and cammies out in town for shopping/lunch. It's a tactical uniform, and going to the mall is not tactical. Same thing as cammies in the airport.

Correct me if I'm wrong - aren't soldiers authorized to wear their cammies in public?

In the Army Cammies are your daily uniform. You wear it in garrison and in the field and can also wear it off post.

The only exception on my post was us flight crews and we wore either Flightsuits or Aviation BDU's to work every day and could also wear them off post and on post all the time.

Honestly fellas....I don't think that the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines have the same discipline like they used to....or am I wrong? Too much pussyfooting nowadays...

Honestly fellas....I don't think that the Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines have the same discipline like they used to....or am I wrong? Too much pussyfooting nowadays...

i think that has been said by every single generation about the next... the Old Corps is always the day before you joined.

I thought it looked like it was camouflaged.

Is that a flak burst on it's tail fin?

S.W. Are you talking about the right vertical stab, inboard side? That is the result of repairing some surface corrosion and repainting the area. Unfortunately the new paint looks lighter than the original paint which is faded and dirty. Matter of fact, that is the reason this bird looks camo'd. All the lighter spots are where the corrosion control crew took care of some corrosion and repainted the areas. "Top Gun" aside, after a six to eight month cruise ALL the aircraft on a US carrier look like this. Ugly but lethal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back