When did you first become interested in Warbirds?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I bet you've all poured salt on a slug at one time though!

BWAHAHAHAH!

I Couldn't let this day go past, especially because I named my dughter after this woman, so I have nipped on to leave you this bit of information:

It was 75 years ago today that the iconic Amy Johnson set off from Croydon in a Gypsy Moth to be the first woman to fly solo to Australia.
8)

Also, incase anyone wants to read the following (paste from the site):
Time to remember what our ancestors did for us...
To commemorate the 60th anniversary of WWII on May 8th, Genes Reunited is placing wartime stories collected from members on the site. You'll be shocked and moved by these real-life accounts from ordinary people. Look out for the poppy on the homepage over the next few weeks. If you have wartime stories or photos you'd like to share, please emailress@genesreunited.com.
You can get onto Genesreunited via 'Friends Reunited'. Genes is also the best place to trace your family tree (should you want to).

Hugs to all Cripps.

VE-Day is strange because it wasn't actually one day, it was three. May 7th through May 9th was the ending of the war, with the cease of hostilities on the Western front, the signing of surrender to the Western forces, the cease of hostilities on the Eastern front and signing of peace for the East. Russia celebrates it every year on May 9th.

Yes, the Japanese were still fighting in small pockets of resistence. The last one I think was found in the 1950s. I read somewhere but think it could be a joke that the sole defender of that area surrendered, and couldn't believe the date when he heard it. Talk about a long war.

This was the last one Healzdevo I remember it being in the papers
Hiroo Onoda was the last Japanese soldier to surrender, finally packing it in in 1974. Attempts were made to persuade Hiroo to surrender, including appeals from relatives. It took his former commanding officer to convince Hiroo the war was over. He had been holding out Lubang Island in the Phillipines for 29 years.

Apparently the inhabitants of that island were pissed because he was treated like a hero when he arrived in Japan. Apparently he was blamed for the murder of a half dozen people in those 29 years. I seen him on a documentary, personally I think he acted like an arrogant twit. The documentary was a few years old, would of loved to see him in a boxing match with Joe Foss!

Users who are viewing this thread