When did you first become interested in Warbirds?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My interest started when I bought the Take Off serious of magazines that showed the Bf-109, Fw-190, Spitfire, Hurricane and Me-262 and started to get interested in WW2 aircraft.

Henk

I became interested in WW2 in general (especially the planes and other technical things) when I visited my grandpa the first time. He was in the US Navy on a Cruiser that served in the Medderteranean as well as supported the D-Day landings with bombardment. He still has the wake-up times drilled into him, so he woke me up the first time I was at his house, BEFORE SUNRISE! He then proceeded to walk me through his personal collection of World War Two items. One of my favorites was a Luger that he got from a US service man when he was off-loading supplies in a Medditeranean port. Another good item was the map of the invasion beaches that and the various points to be shelled. The map also showed other things, but I'm gonna take up too much space describing all of them. Finally, he has all the older books on vehicles, battles, and personel that I could ever want. The last time I was there (late last year) my parents practically had to pry us apart because we were discussing so much World War Two stuff and didn't want to stop. To top it off, I had a relative on the battleship in Battle Ship Cove (New England) that was either the first or last to be hit by a Kamakaze in World War Two.

Hi all.

Me, well...

Find out two years ago that my deceased great-uncle flew Lancasters during WW2, from February to July 1943.Also, going to Warbirds Over Wanaka (2004)
and seeing the fully restored Messerschmitt 109 in all its glory!!

That's all folks.

James.

Crippen said:
mmmmmmmmmmm a Lancaster fan, join the club,m aint she a beaut. Always good to hear, a lancs lover.
Funny how seing a restored plane has an effect on you, when I saw the Wellington a couple of months ago, has made me mor interested in her.
I.m curious about the Wellington any info or link that would be something to see

I became interested when I was a child. My father was in the Army but we lived in married quarters on a lot of RAF airfields and when my father retired from the Army we settled in Dishforth North Yorkshire which has a very large ex WWII airbase. I often used to watch the RAF and the the Army Air Corp flying around and when my father passed away he was laid to rest in the cemetry in Dishforth. In that cemetry there are rows of RCAF airmen and after paying my respects to my father I used to walk down the rows and read all the headstones and what struck me was the ages. I kept wondering who they were so far away from home and what they did so I did a little reading. That's where it all started from and the rest is history.

Ali :D

Hot Space said:
I'm planning to get interested next tuesday, but I might be busy, so I might put it off until friday - depends if the socks are dry yet:lol:

I must down to the sea again to the lonely sea and the sky,
I've left my socks and knicks down there I hope that they are dry.

Ali :D :D

Credits to John Masefield and Sea Fever (sort of :D )

well I must have been out to lunch when this thread was started ............

due to an uncle a Lt. Colonel in the Air Force out of Wiesbaden, Germany had close ties with several of the big shot Luftwaffe aces, Hartmann, Rall, Galland, the Count, etc. discovered that I had 2 cousins serving in the Luftwaffe, one a night fighter ace and the other a young day fighter pilot, both killed during the war. Geez this was way back in 1960, maybe earlier ....

~ E ~ ♪ ♫

Warbirds ? I think they're great, I have all their albums !!!

I have my own page on myspace !!!

I love anything by European techno artists !!!

I am due to be comitted any day now !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back