Where are you from? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It amazes me that people can pack up and move so far away from where they were born. I'm 62, and have always lived within 15 miles of where I was born. I can't imagine moving to a different country. It doesn't help when I'm a pack rat. I love to collect just about everything.
I worked abroad for 30 years, almost everywhere I went there were people in my business who had gone on a job and stayed there. I am from UK but even in Russia and Japan there were Brits who never went back. One guy met a girl in a park in Mulheim stayed the night with her and rang his wife next day to say "its over", I met him 5 years later, he was working in the same place in a cardboard recycling centre, he regretted it.

It amazes me that people can pack up and move so far away from where they were born. I'm 62, and have always lived within 15 miles of where I was born. I can't imagine moving to a different country. It doesn't help when I'm a pack rat. I love to collect just about everything.
Born Fort Ord, '43.
Lived most of my life in S.F. East Bay area from '49, Oakland, Newark, San Leandro, Fremont, Livermore.
I did move farther away 2001....................... Sydney Australia is now my home.
I think this is far enough...... I now have a good woman and a good life.
79 years old next month, still drive a V8, 6.2 liter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome from California - born in Orange County (southern California) ended up moving to northern California (the real north, by the way: surrounded by forests, mountains and lakes).

Billings, Montana by way of The west side of Chicago.
My Great Grandfather had the largest horse ranch in the Montana territory, near there - the JHL ranch.

UPPA US!
Minnesota. Lived most of my life in Nordeast Minneapolis, until my wife got sick and we needed to find a home with bedrooms and a full bath on the main floor. So we packed up and moved across the river to St Paul's West Side. Military duties took me to Missouri, California, (Monterey is real pretty), Texas, Massachusetts, (where I learned to pahhk ma cahh), Georgia, Utah, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Kansas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Germany, Morrocco, North Carolina, Kuwait, Iraq. And many points in between.

UPPA US!
Minnesota. Lived most of my life in Nordeast Minneapolis, until my wife got sick and we needed to find a home with bedrooms and a full bath on the main floor. So we packed up and moved across the river to St Paul's West Side. Military duties took me to Missouri, California, (Monterey is real pretty), Texas, Massachusetts, (where I learned to pahhk ma cahh), Georgia, Utah, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Kansas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Germany, Morrocco, North Carolina, Kuwait, Iraq. And many points in between.
Have you had enough yet,
or is Capt salary tough to give up??????

Born Fort Ord, '43.
Lived most of my life in S.F. East Bay area from '49, Oakland, Newark, San Leandro, Fremont, Livermore.
I did move farther away 2001....................... Sydney Australia is now my home.
I think this is far enough...... I now have a good woman and a good life.
79 years old next month, still drive a V8, 6.2 liter!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad did some work at Ft Ord, though he was based (as a civilian radar guy) at Hunter-Liggett. I also lived a year in Livermore, shortly after I left the Air Force.

I hope to see Oz one day!

Born in NYC, lived in Southern California on and off for 20 years, lived in Montreal, St. Catherines' Ontario, now I'm about 15 miles west of Denver.

My dad did some work at Ft Ord, though he was based (as a civilian radar guy) at Hunter-Liggett. I also lived a year in Livermore, shortly after I left the Air Force.

I hope to see Oz one day!
So when did you live in the heat of Livermore?????
1970 till 1999 for me. Did sign painting there.
Batman and Superman are Still on the windows of the comic book shop!

So when did you live in the heat of Livermore?????
1970 till 1999 for me. Did sign painting there.
Batman and Superman are Still on the windows of the comic book shop!

I lived there in 93, right after I got out of the service. Pacific Ave, right across the street from the Lucky's supermarket.

Born 44
Lived and worked in eight countries and visited 20+ more. LOVE trying different foods - snake is not bad and properly cooked jellyfish is fantastic. Badly cooked is @#$%^&*()_ foul. British boiled bacon is worse. I would still like to travel more but covid is a worry

Was footloose and fancy free and mid 30s when I met a witch who cast an evil spell on me which I have still not broken. I am NOT complaining. She travels with me.

Children have also moved around quite a lot as has one grandchild. All grandchildren have traveled widely.

Just can't imagine being a limpet.

Born in Ann Arbor Michigan, raised south of there on the family airfield that dad and his brothers converted the family farm into after WWII. Back to Ann Arbor in high school and college (U of M - GO BLUE!), then the usual, Detroit, Chicago Dallas, Tampa, Dallas (again), Madison, Tampa (again), Bradenton and finally Clearwater. Married 38 years, two sons and two daughters, sons both working and doing well for themselves, daughters both live at home* but are full time college students, however both of them have full ride scholarships and work almost full time, very proud of all of them.

Still kiss the wife goodbye every morning when I leave for work and hello every afternoon when I get home.

Also what you'd call a "foodie" I guess as well as a connoisseur of fine liquor, fast cars (still have my 1985 Monte Carlo SS that has smokin hot LS3) among others, firearms, great airplanes, old movies (50's Sci Fi, Film Noir) history and basically anything else that's fun.

*Youngest daughter moved back home May 4th of this year, happiest day of the year so far for me and her both. She couldn't stand the school she was at in Orlando and has transferred to Tampa, WooHoo. I know I was pretty angsty here for a while when she left for school last year (thanks to all of you with your kind words and encouragement during that time) but she's back home and better for it. Planning on enjoying our time together as a family before the inevitable moving away happens.

(still have my 1985 Monte Carlo SS that has smokin hot LS3)
Still have my '62 Nova 400 that I picked up back in '85, hopefully when all this madness here at home settles down, I'll get it into my shop and resurrect it.
20200822_161049.jpg

Currently retired in small town Listowel Ontario Canada. Have lived most of my life within 2 hour area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back