Where do you keep your models?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with Daniel that cabinet is very beautiful!

My father is an avid collector of die cast model cars and has some dedicated cases made with sliding glass fronts. For me its my bookcase or small shelving unit for the time, neither are great and the dust gets to them but that's all I've got. In some ways I keep putting off my better kits for this reason. No where decent for them to live!

I agree with Daniel that cabinet is very beautiful!

My father is an avid collector of die cast model cars and has some dedicated cases made with sliding glass fronts. For me its my bookcase or small shelving unit for the time, neither are great and the dust gets to them but that's all I've got. In some ways I keep putting off my better kits for this reason. No where decent for them to live!

Thanks. :)

A friend of mine who lives just outside of Dallas ended up buying a set of 12 lawyers bookshelves at auction a long while ago for his finished kits. They are a set of stackable units, about 18 inches high and 30 inches wide, solid oak I think, with fold down wood framed glass front doors. He has them grouped 4 stacks high (6 feet) and 3 stacks across. He had them cleaned, restained, and added some new hardware to them. They are absolutely fantastic. Wish I had a picture of them. He paid almost nothing for the cases originally. Maybe 25$ a unit. Almost totally dust free.

Harrison,

Pay close attention to the size of the shelves in each unit. Just for comparison, those cases that I have are 37+ inches across and 18+ inches deep on the inside. On the second shelf, I have four Spanish Civil War/Italian twin/tri-engined bombers packed along the back row - the wingspan on each is equal to a 1/72 scale SM 79 (which is actually one of the planes there) and I had to slightly rotate each bomber and overlap/interlace the wings to get all four in. In front of those there is just enough room for four smaller single engine Italian fighters with room for possibly two more.

Since most of your kits are 1/48, you should factor in the larger size of those kits - you'll only get about 2/3 as many kits into the same space.

Make sure you get something big enough for your purposes. :)

Thanks again. :)

Even if my wife reclaims them for other purposes, they do look cool. :)

Thanks will have to take some measurements. :D

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for Dwight. There are quite a few 'charity shops' in my town, and I just missed an ex-shop wall display cabinet, about four feet wide, the same high, and roughly 18 inches deep. Glass full length doors and a mirror back - only £25 - that's about, what, $19 ?!!!! I'll be scouring these shops weekly from now on!
Meanwhile, I've started erecting extra shelves, which I'll eventually face in clear Perspex or acylic sheet - that dust monster is a real b*st*rd !!

This is what I bought. Works great and comes with a light at the top.

Attachments

• display01.jpg
    display01.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 59
  • display02.jpg
    display02.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 60
Woah! Gotta be careful with that much glass. I bought mine because the glass shelving is easy to replace if broke and a nice sturdy, wood frame for the whole contraption. Unable to fit 1/48 bombers or very large A/C but it does fine for everything else.

Harrison,

Check on Craigslist or the local paper for garage or estate sales. you might be able to find a cabinet or old hutch that the owners are just about willing to give away. In the area you live you could find something stunning for little $$$$. I personally will be using a old hutch my parents had from when they first got married. Right now it is housing all my hockey goalies but it will be cleaned out soon for my models. Its enclosed and for a few bucks I was able to add lights. I'm in the city working right now but I'll post a picture or two soon. For me keeping the dust away is the most important thing.

Dirk has a good idea. Craiglist isn't a bad place to look.

Here's a pic of the set of lawyer's book shelves I was talking about.

Attachments

• BAG34B.jpg
    BAG34B.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 67
I make my own Harrison for the 1/72 planes and it could be done for 1/48 but the cabinet would be maybe 2" deeper for the fighters.Now for the 1/48 I have are stored in old stereo cabinets people were discarding on the side of the road in perfect shape almost.I take the wood shelves our install a mirror in the back and glass shelves.I have never bought any of my stuff cause I am cheap on some things :D.I would check a flea market,antique shop or maybe a Goodwill?You are not in a rush yet just keep your eyes open and look around ya when you are out driving.I have only bought one mirror thus far and that was a 4'X8' I got for $75 a steal and all the glass I have has been 100% free by just what I am telling you,people throw this stuff out all the time.Cheers Kevin

I don't have the problem most of you have, I only have four [balsa/tissue flying models] and they are suspended from
the ceiling in the garage.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_1631.JPG
    DSC_1631.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 59
Nice cabinet Dwight, would fit my needs.

Like you all said, I'll keep my eyes peeled :D

My parents said if I can't find anything, and I can find room to put it where it won't be in the 'way' they'll 'loan' some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back