Which is better: P-47 or Fw-190?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But how does this explain a 3,000lbs drop in the "normal" loaded weight figure ?

Engineers might add limiting factors for whatever weight-configuration, but they wouldnt alter the "Normal loaded" weight figure, as thats impossible.

Soren said:
But how does this explain a 3,000lbs drop in the "normal" loaded weight figure ?

Engineers might add limiting factors for whatever weight-configuration, but they wouldnt alter the "Normal loaded" weight figure, as thats impossible.

Yea, that does sound a bit funny.:rolleyes: You might want to double check these manuals and figures and make sure there isn't a caveat for armor or equipment removed. I've seen empty weights shown in some aircraft with armament, armor, all fluids and radios removed.

FLYBOYJ said:
Soren said:

Yea, that does sound a bit funny.:rolleyes: You might want to double check these manuals and figures and make sure there isn't a caveat for armor or equipment removed. I've seen empty weights shown in some aircraft with armament, armor, all fluids and radios removed.

You have a very good point there FLYBOYJ !

Soren said, "Something is fishy about that manual.... "

In light of the manual, I think the other data is fishy. It is the manual after all. For one thing, we don't know where where the other data came from.

Soren said, "But how does this explain a 3,000lbs drop in the "normal" loaded weight figure ?"

Soren, it isn't 3,000lbs. We're talking 16,300 as opposed to 13,854lbs. (That's about 2,500lbs but I guess it helps your position if you round up.)

Flyboy said, "Yea, that does sound a bit funny. :rolleyes: You might want to double check these manuals and figures and make sure there isn't a caveat for armor or equipment removed. I've seen empty weights shown in some aircraft with armament, armor, all fluids and radios removed."

Done. Double checked for any such caveat. None. Speaking of checking the manual, you can check it for yourself as I posted the web link to the actual manual itself. On another note, why would they present data in the pilots manual for a different configuration than would be used? The operative figure here is normal gross weight and in any event, the figure for "normal gross weight" would not be subject to conditions where the armor, armament, fluids and radio are removed.

Moreover, if the empty weight is sans armor, armament, fluids and radio, it would make the "normal gross weight" figure stand out as clearly incorrect because the normal gross weight would include these items in addition to a normal fuel and armament loading.

As Soren himself said, "Engineers might add limiting factors for whatever weight-configuration, but they wouldnt alter the "Normal loaded" weight figure, as thats impossible."

Soren said, "Anyway, if the manual's weight figures are correct then the -47N 'should' be climbing at something like 3,450-3,500 ft/min, the same as the -47M. And if the figures aren't correct, well then it would most likely be climbing at something like 3,150-3,200 ft/min."

Well Soren, if the P-47M has an initial climb rate of 3,500fpm (which it does not as that figure is for 5,000ft.) than I would say you are correct but:

If the 3,500fpm figure at 5,000ft is correct, then the initial climb rate would be more like 3,600-3,650fpm (maybe as high as 3,700fpm) puting the "N" model's at 3,550-3,600fpm (maybe as high as 3,650fpm). (Please revisit the correct power and wing loading figures for the "M" and "N" below)
--------------------

P-47M

Wing area - 300 sq.ft.

Normal loaded weight - 13,275 (Wing loading - 44.25lbs)

Horsepower - 2,800 (Power loading - 4.74lbs)

P-47N

Wing area - 322.2 sq.ft.

Normal gross weight - 13,854 (Wing loading - 43lbs)

Horsepower - 2,800 (Power loading - 4.94lbs)
--------------------

As you may recall, you said you were getting us back on the subject by citing the following data for the "M" in your post on page nine of this thread:

P-47M:

P-47M-1-RE:
Initial climb rate: 3500 feet per minute at 5000 feet and 2650 feet per minute at 20,000 feet.

P-47M:
Initial rate of climb: 3500 ft per minute at 5000 ft and 2650 ft per minute at 20,000 ft

If the initial climb rate of the "M" is higher, which I believe to be the case, then the P-47N's initial climb rate will follow accordingly. I have located someone who supposedly has some documented performance data from Republic Aviation concerning the performance of the "M" and "N" models. He said that he recalls that the "M" model's climb rate was about 3,750fpm. (he did not recall the altitude). If and when I obtain this performance data from Republic Aviation, I will share it on the forum. I will not represent his memory of data to be fact.

Stay tuned. :D

Soren said, "But how does this explain a 3,000lbs drop in the "normal" loaded weight figure ?"

Soren, it isn't 3,000lbs. We're talking 16,300 as opposed to 13,854lbs. (That's about 2,500lbs but I guess it helps your position if you round up.)

This is a case of; "I remembered the manual's figure as 13,300lbs but it wasnt." Big deal, get over it DAVID, and don't start accusing people right away.

A 2,500lbs drop in weight is equally unrealistic...

If the 3,500fpm figure at 5,000ft is correct, then the initial climb rate would be more like 3,600-3,650fpm

Oh really, please explain why ?

Just remember before you say anything, it says "Initial" climb rate at 5,000ft ;)

"A 2,500lbs drop in weight is equally unrealistic..."

I have provided you with the pilot's manual itself Soren. It is what it is and that is a primary source of reliable data. That being the case, we can now assume that the 2,554lb (aka 2,500lb) drop in weight is not "unrealistic" but fact. If you want to continue to profess doubts in order to to assuage your ego in light of the erosion of your position, that is up to you. I will certainly not stand in the way of your maintaining an "unrealistic" position.

"Oh really, please explain why?"

Because that could very well be the rate of climb at 5,000 feet which would not be the rate of climb at 500 or 1,000 feet. It doesn't matter if you call it "initial" or "starting" or "beginning." Whatever modifier you place before "at 5,000 feet" doesn't change the fact that it is a figure, and I quote, at 5,000 feet.

Spitfire Mk. IX @ 25lbs of boost

Climb rate at 0ft - 5,740ft.

Climb rate at 5,000ft - 5,080ft.

Do you notice the drop in the rate of climb between 0ft and 5,000ft? If we didn't have the 0ft figure and started with the 5,000ft figure, and called it "initial," that would not change the fact that the climb rate has already dropped significantly between 0ft and 5,000ft.

Now, if on the other hand, we were to take the average of the climb rate from 0ft to 5,000ft and then call that "initial," my point would still hold fast. The averaged rate of climb from 0ft to 5,000ft would still be lower than the actual climb rate at 0ft.

At best, you could hope for the latter example as an explaination of the "initial" climb rate "at 5,000ft." I gave the data for the Spitfire Mk. IX only to drive home my point. I think that the actual increase in the "M" model's initlal climb rate, assuming your 3,500fpm figure, would be less as evidenced by the estimates I provided.

"A 2,500lbs drop in weight is equally unrealistic..."

I have provided you with the pilot's manual itself Soren. It is what it is and that is a primary source of reliable data. That being the case, we can now assume that the 2,554lb (aka 2,500lb) drop in weight is not "unrealistic" but fact.

DAVID didnt you read what I said earlier ? I said: Engineers might add limiting factors for whatever weight-configuration, but they wouldn't alter the "Normal loaded" weight figure, as thats impossible.

Now what part of this did you miss ?

If you want to continue to profess doubts in order to to assuage your ego in light of the erosion of your position, that is up to you. I will certainly not stand in the way of your maintaining an "unrealistic" position.

DAVID I don't need those insults, they're good for nothing. Why would you say something like this ? Can't you stand that someone doubts the highest performance figure of your precious P-47, is that it ? well then sorry, it won't happen again :rolleyes:

No seriously DAVID, you don't need to be so aggressive, I've never insulted you, so I don't need such remarks.

Because that could very well be the rate of climb at 5,000 feet which would not be the rate of climb at 500 or 1,000 feet. It doesn't matter if you call it "initial" or "starting" or "beginning." Whatever modifier you place before "at 5,000 feet" doesn't change the fact that it is a figure, and I quote, at 5,000 feet.

The word "Initial" is put there for a reason DAVID, and aswell is left out for a reason on the presented Spit IX data. ;)

You will note from the same site:
Max. rate of climb at full throttle height in M.S. supercharger gear 4470 ft/min. (at 11,200 ft.)
Max. rate of climb at full throttle height in F.S. supercharger gear 3400 ft/min. (at 22,700 ft.)

=Initial climb rate.

;)

I'm not sure what your point is with respect to your saying, "Now what part of this did you miss?"

As a reminder, you said, "But how does this explain a 3,000lbs drop in the "normal" loaded weight figure?"

I pointed out that the reduction in weight was really about 2,500lbs (2,554lbs to be exact) to which you replied that even that reduction was, "... equally unrealistic... "

I then responded that, "I have provided you with the pilot's manual itself Soren. It is what it is and that is a primary source of reliable data. That being the case, we can now assume that the 2,554lb (aka 2,500lb) drop in weight is not "unrealistic" but fact."

Thus, I was under the impression that you found the 2,554lb (which you had represented to be 3,000lb) reduction of weight "unrealistic" per your own statement. If that is not the case and you no longer or otherwise do not find the reduction in weight "unrealistic," in light of the data presented directly from the pilot's manual, then I apologize and am pleased that we are now in agreement.

Now, when I quoted you as saying, ""Engineers might add limiting factors for whatever weight-configuration, but they wouldnt alter the "Normal loaded" weight figure, as thats impossible.", I was responding to Flyboy. So to quote you again, "What part of this did you miss?"

I think my point about degradation of climb rate from 0ft to 5,000ft still stands. As I clearly pointed out, "I gave the data for the Spitfire Mk. IX only to drive home my point." Thus it was just an illustrative example.

Your quoted specifications appear on the website as:

Max rate of climb at full throttle in M.S. supercharger gear 4,470 ft/min. (at 11,200ft.)

Max rate of climb at full throttle in F.S. supercharger gear 3,400 ft/min. (at 22,700ft.)

I do not understand your reference to "=Initial climb rate." I'm not sure how this relates to my point concerning the degradation of climb rate from 0ft to 5,000ft which again was:

At any rate, if my point, as opposed to my example, is flawed, please explain. Otherwise, it is the point as opposed to the example that would apply to the "M" model's actual initial vs. "initial at 5,000ft" climb rate.

Sal Monella said:
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that actual test data for maximum figures would be higher than performance figures in a manual?

Yes the manufacturer and in some cases the military (normally after something bad happens) places limits on the aircrafts performance. The aircraft can perform better than these limits if need be but the limits are placed there to keep the pilot from doing something stupid.

Now in combat limits being exceeded is not uncommon. Many times the pilot exceeding the limits gets the kill.

I can see we missunderstood each other, "Again". :D

I'm not sure what your point is with respect to your saying, "Now what part of this did you miss?"

As a reminder, you said, "But how does this explain a 3,000lbs drop in the "normal" loaded weight figure?"

Which was pointed at the official books about the P-47, not the manual. What I couldnt understand was how so many serious researchers got it so horribly wrong, and I still don't understand how.

I pointed out that the reduction in weight was really about 2,500lbs (2,554lbs to be exact) to which you replied that even that reduction was, "... equally unrealistic... "

It is unrealistic, as engineers would never reduce or add to the normal loaded weight figures in flight manuals. (Performance figures is another matter)

I then responded that, "I have provided you with the pilot's manual itself Soren. It is what it is and that is a primary source of reliable data. That being the case, we can now assume that the 2,554lb (aka 2,500lb) drop in weight is not "unrealistic" but fact."

Presumably yes, but I'm just abit puzzled by the fact that so many researchers got it so horribly wrong, thats all.

Thus, I was under the impression that you found the 2,554lb (which you had represented to be 3,000lb) reduction of weight "unrealistic" per your own statement.

I do find it unrealistic, as that manual 'should' be correct. The engineers would never play with the weight figures, however with authors your just never 100% sure. But that 'so many' serious researchers should be wrong about the weight figures, seems quite strange to me, and makes the manual seem a little fishy, as the researchers presumably relied on manuals to get their figures themselves.

If that is not the case and you no longer or otherwise do not find the reduction in weight "unrealistic," in light of the data presented directly from the pilot's manual, then I apologize and am pleased that we are now in agreement.

Apology accepted. Now I will apologize for not making myself perfectly clear on what really meant.

Now, when I quoted you as saying, ""Engineers might add limiting factors for whatever weight-configuration, but they wouldnt alter the "Normal loaded" weight figure, as thats impossible.", I was responding to Flyboy. So to quote you again, "What part of this did you miss?"

Probably all of it, I was in quite a hurry when I read it. :oops:

I think my point about degradation of climb rate from 0ft to 5,000ft still stands. As I clearly pointed out, "I gave the data for the Spitfire Mk. IX only to drive home my point." Thus it was just an illustrative example.

Ok, I'll explain why not below. :)

Your quoted specifications appear on the website as:

Max rate of climb at full throttle in M.S. supercharger gear 4,470 ft/min. (at 11,200ft.)

Max rate of climb at full throttle in F.S. supercharger gear 3,400 ft/min. (at 22,700ft.)

I do not understand your reference to "=Initial climb rate." I'm not sure how this relates to my point concerning the degradation of climb rate from 0ft to 5,000ft which again was:

At any rate, if my point, as opposed to my example, is flawed, please explain. Otherwise, it is the point as opposed to the example that would apply to the "M" model's actual initial vs. "initial at 5,000ft" climb rate.

Look at my presented figures and then look at yours, then you will see that mine are presented as Max climb rate's at certain altitudes, yours are not. And as we both know an a/c has different speeds and climb rates at different altitudes.

Now the word "Initial" virtually means "beginning" or "Start of", and at 5,000ft the -47M will have a climb rate of 3,500ft/min in the beginning or at "the start of" the climb = the max climb rate at that altitude.

Also you will note the alt difference between my figures is 10,500ft(11,200-22,700ft) but only 970ft/min in climb rate, while the difference between your figures is much higher considering its a lower alt difference "5,000ft".

Take for example this quote from the same site:

Rate of climb at Sea level:
Spitfire IX BS. 543 Merlin 66= 4620 ft/min.
Spitfire IX BS. 551 Merlin 70= 4390 ft/min.

Spit IX Merlin 66: Rate of climb at full throttle height in M.S. supercharger gear= 4700 ft/min at 7000 ft.
Spit IX Merlin 70: Rate of climb at full throttle height in M.S. supercharger gear= 4530 ft/min. at 11,900 ft.
Spit IX Merlin 66: Rate of climb at full throttle height in F.S. supercharger gear= 3860 ft/min. at 18,000 ft.
Spit IX Merlin 70: Rate of climb at full throttle height in F.S. supercharger gear= 3480 ft/min. at 24,700 ft.

Now the if we were to follow your example/point the Spit IX would suddenly be climbing faster than from sea level when it reaches 7000ft, which we both know isn't the case.

---------------------------------

Well this is all I have time for right now, but I'll be back later.
And please excuse any mess in the writing, as I was in quite a hurry writing this.

"Look at my presented figures and then look at yours, then you will see that mine are presented as Max climb rate's at certain altitudes, yours are not."

I do see this but am not sure what the consequence is. Under what circumstances would you present "climb rate" if not intending to, present "maximum climb rate?" Isn't that just understood? What value would it be to have a chart that lists the "climb rate" at say 5,000ft at a lower speed and angle of climb and a "climb rate" at say 10,000ft at a higher speed and angle of climb? Or for that matter, why would anyone be interested in a climb rate that reflects a slow leisurely climb? I believe this is why we can assume that the data I provided was in fact for maximum climb rate (or are you saying that a Mk. IX at 25lbs of boost could do better?)

In keeping with this, the data I provided was in fact for maximum climb rate even though it didn't expressly say "maximum.":

I agree with you that, "Now the word "Initial" virtually means "beginning" or "Start of", and at 5,000ft the -47M will have a climb rate of 3,500ft/min in the beginning or at "the start of" the climb = the max climb rate at that altitude."

That being the case, when you presented P-47M climb data as "initial climb at 5,000ft" you were indeed presenting the "maximum climb rate at that (5,000ft) altitude."

Therein lies my point. I am concerned that if we compare the initial climb rate of the "N" model at a far lower altitude than 5,000ft, say sea level, we would be comparing apples to oranges. If the P-47M can start a climb at 5,000ft at a rate of climb of 3,500fpm (again, I am just assuming this figure for purposes of this discussion), then the P-47N, to be fair, would need to be tested in its start of its climb at 5,000ft as well.

If we assume a 3,500fpm maximum initial climb rate at 5,000ft for the "M" model, it stands to reason that that same "M" model aircraft could deliver a higher maximum initial rate of climb at sea level and a lower maximum initial rate of climb at 10,000ft and still lower at 20,000ft. Had you presented a maximum initial climb rate at 10,000ft or 20,000ft, I would thus be making the same argument.

To further the point of this example, it should be quite obvious to see that the "M" would have a higher "initial climb rate" at 5,000ft than at 20,000ft and that it would not be helpful to use the 20,000ft figure simply in order to depress the estimates of the "M" model's initial climb rate so that the "N" model's initial climb rate would be similarly depressed in a debate where you have taken the position that the climb rates are lower. Likewise, the 5,000ft figure you are in fact using is lower than the figure would be at sea level.

Hence, when I speak of "maximum initial climb rate" I want to be comparing apples to apples by comparing "maximum initial climb rates" at the same altitude in which the maximum climb rate can be achieved.

If the "M" model can pull 3,500fpm at 5,000ft, it could pull better than that at sea level. If we compare the "M" model at 5,000ft and the "N" model at sea level, we could very well see the "N" model's climb rate exceed the "M" model's 5,000ft maximum climb rate.

I see what you mean DAVID, but not all a/c will have better climb rates down low though, but thats another matter.

However since the -47N and -47M used the same C engine, their engine performance curve at altitude should be the same. So 'if' the C engine has better performance down at sea-level than at 5,000ft, then I agree the climb rate should be slightly better at sea-level than at 5,000ft.

So what we need is a performance curve for the R-2800-57 "C" at different altitudes.

R-2800 INFO!

Here are the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheets (TCDS) for the civilian versions of the P&W R-2800. I think you might be able to extract some information from these:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/137c165bea6c0fae8525670d0060671b/$FILE/E-264.pdf

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/28543f501b3e3cee8525670d0060471a/$FILE/E-231.pdf

I recall that the climb rates for the F6F and F4U are linear in inverse proportion to the increase in altitude and thus believe that the P-47 would follow in kind.

I guess we can argue about what "slightly better" means.

As I stated earlier, "If the 3,500fpm figure at 5,000ft is correct, then the initial climb rate would be more like 3,600-3,650fpm (maybe as high as 3,700fpm) ..."

When I said "initial climb rate" above, I was indeed talking about the increase in climb rate that would be realized at sea level which is why I pointed out that the 3,500fpm initial climb rate would be incorrect as it is at 5,000ft. (Admittedly I could have been clearer. :oops: )

When you first represented the FW-190-D-9's climb rate, you said," The Fw-190D-9's climb rate was 3,660ft/min." That's it. No altitude specified. Naturally, I assumed that that was the highest numerical climb rate figure attainable by the Focke Wulf and since we were comparing against the P-47N, wished to use the highest numerical climb rate figure achievable as well, which I just assumed to be sea level for both planes.

Since we were extrapolating from the "M" model data to better understand the "N" model data, the "at 5,000ft" issue was of concern for me.

At any rate, I am still hopeful that I can obtain that Republic Aviation documentation on the "M" and "N" performance.

Maybe you could help us (or at least me) with that task Flyboy.

What are the fifferences between the "C" series 57 engine and the version of the engines presented in that data?

What conclusions do you infer from the presented data?

DAVIDICUS said:
Maybe you could help us (or at least me) with that task Flyboy.

What are the fifferences between the "C" series 57 engine and the version of the engines presented in that data?

What conclusions do you infer from the presented data?

As you folks been discussing this, I've been trying to find that out. In those 2 links I gave you it gives a break down of the 2800 civilian versions, but the -97 is shown on the 2nd TCDS. Usually a letter after an engine model designator has to do with an accessory, like a generator or supercharger. The -57 seems to be exclusive to the P-47, the "C" might designate clockwise for either the engine or for an engine accessory.

I think when comparing the climb performance of different aircraft you have to factor in a given altitude, rpm, mp and fpm. As stated, climb performance is usually inversely linear (supercharging may change this a bit, but the bottom line eventually climb perfomance will go to hell at altitude, supercharger or not). Just to say that an aircraft will climb at 3700 fpm doesn't mean much unless you could determine at what altitude that's at. To make it more complicated, that climb performance will change as density altitude changes(altitude with temp factored in). Max climb performance should be shown starting at SL, 59F at 29.92hg - that's standard temp and pressure and usually performance charts are built around that base.

I have this for the P-47D-35 which clearly states the "Max" initial climb rate:

P-47D-35-RA
Max. initial climb: 3,120 ft./min.

And it seems perfectly reasonable that the -47M was about 400fpm faster than the D-35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back