While target shooters are pretty religious (as am I) about properly lubricating the gun, my belief is that there is only one critical area on the gun that absolutely requires lubricant and almost anything will do if one is concerned only about functioning.
- Ivan.
I still am some what but once I started thinking about it on my semi which is 70% of the rifles I started with my M1a going 200-400rds once or twice just going in a real fire fight an M14 would or 16 might go that easy before cleaning.The M1a still shoots for me 1 1/4 - 1 3/4" groups after 2-3k rounds and yes the MOA after not cleaning did change but it still function well.
To be known I voted the M1 Garand one thing about semi's the tolerances are looser unlike the bolt but then all ammo is factory in war.
Hello Javlin,
I spent a VERY long time working on M14 types.
I also found that without a telescope, these guns were shooting a LOT better than I could see or hold.
On one of my target guns, I decided to collect all the targets that I shot off the bench for accuracy testing over a several month period with one particular gun. The results were quite surprising to me.
The average extreme spread for 5 shot groups was about 5/8 inch center to center. (100 yards)
Superimposed, consecutive 5 shot groups would give a 10 shot group that was about 3/4 inch.
With another gun, at 200 Meters, I was getting 5 shot groups a bit under 1.5 inch.
This wasn't quite as good as I was getting with similar loads out of a heavy barrel Remington 700, but it was VERY close.
I also found the M1A/M14 was very sensitive to a tight hold and accuracy would go all to heck under free recoil.
Sling tension was such that I could see the reticle move with my heartbeat.
If you do a side by side comparison, you may find that the tolerances are not that different between a semi auto and a bolt gun.
There are a whole lot more parts set in motion when a semi auto fires, but the tolerances and clearances on the critical parts are quite tight.
Hello The Basket,
With the procurement ability of beggars, the Finns still managed to do pretty well with their Mosin Nagants.
Note that Finnish M-N rifles only really share the receiver and trigger group with Russian guns. Everything else has been modified or replaced.
The guns feel a lot more solid than the typical Russian M1891/30 and have a very good reputation for accuracy which I can confirm is quite deserved.
As for the Mosin Nagant being the first choice in anyone's army, please note that the Russians and then their Soviet successors DID choose this gun and kept it in service until it was replaced by the SKS. Even after that, it served as a Sniper weapon.
Regarding the MAS 36, I would prefer the Russian M1891/30 if given a choice.
- Ivan.