Which WWII aircraft would you choose?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, of course, since money (in this scenario) is not a limit for the build, I might consider having the BV238 resurrected.

The idea behind this is to cruise around the globe, stopping along the way to pick up forum friends and then it's off to South Pacific destinations like Bora Bora for extended R&R :thumbleft:
A minor question, what powerplants would you use? Original, or more up to date(this is, afterall, financed by a blank signed check)

Wow,. There's no way it could be just one.
I'll start with the illustrious A5M4. I love the sleek little Claude.
Then the stubby I-153. This plane was quite nimble.
The awesome He 115 is something I have loved for years.
Then there's the HS 129 tank-buster.
A sweet rarity is the Fw187 Falce
Finally, my all time favorite of the Second world war is the P-47D razorback. What can I say, my tastes are eclectic.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'd lean toward the Allison T56 turboprop instead of trying to recreate the DB603 engines.
Pretty funny how'd you be dropping a couple of hundred pounds in engine weight and gaining it all back in the propeller!

(I've often wondered if a PT6 with a gearbox reduction to handle a something like an old 11 foot or so Hamilton Standard would be an efficient set-up.)

Since we're allowed to have fun with this? Let's cancel the orders for the C-54 and the On Mark, I hereby place my purchase order for a derated PW127 powered Do335B with the fuselage widened and pressurized to accommodate three of my friends.

Pretty funny how'd you be dropping a couple of hundred pounds in engine weight and gaining it all back in the propeller!
Reliability and power would be the main concerns.
The BV238 weighs nearly twice that of a B-29 (or a C-130) and was originally equipped with the limited production DB603G, which produced a max. rating of 1,874 hp versus the T56's max. of 5,912 (shaft) hp.

Plus, parts and maintenance would be much easier with the Allison.

I do it in my fantasies too, but in public, I am still squeamish about replacing engines with altogether different types of engines. In this case I would spend tens of millions to re-engineer my Jumo 213 and build a few of them. I want the look (with the cowling open even), sound and smell right.

Wow,. There's no way it could be just one.
I'll start with the illustrious A5M4. I love the sleek little Claude.
Then the stubby I-153. This plane was quite nimble.
The awesome He 115 is something I have loved for years.
Then there's the HS 129 tank-buster.
A sweet rarity is the Fw187 Falce
Finally, my all time favorite of the Second world war is the P-47D razorback. What can I say, my tastes are eclectic.
Resp:
Yes, thankfully there are several airworthy P-47G razorbacks out there. Just haven't seen one at any air shows.

Ok, switching up again. XB-35. Yes, its a couple years too late but with modern tech we can solve the propellor vibration issue. Who among us wouldn't love to sit under that bubble canopy and soar through the skies in a flying wing!?

Reliability and power would be the main concerns.
The BV238 weighs nearly twice that of a B-29 (or a C-130) and was originally equipped with the limited production DB603G, which produced a max. rating of 1,874 hp versus the T56's max. of 5,912 (shaft) hp.

Plus, parts and maintenance would be much easier with the Allison.

Performance would be a bit more sprightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back