Which WWII aircraft would you choose?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tank busting stuka! Big, ugly, hard as nails, heavily armed and I'd love to blast something with those cannons!

Ok, so you have the finances and technical connections to have any single aircraft of WWII that actually existed during the war,

'

Am saying this with NO 'National Bias' involved, nor intended - My choice would be the Short Stirling

Why ?

Because it's a massive, massive 'Beast' and just like the Dinosaurs that went before it - IT's EXTINCT !!!!!!!

Have ALWAYS been pretty obsessed with it, since I was a child & I built my very first 1/72nd scale AIRFIX STIRLING, circa 1971

This led-on to building another, this time BETTER & to be honest, I became obsessed with the Roy Cross Box-Artwork !

As a child, I'd dream of 'visiting THE airfield' on the box

Hornchurch's 1979 Honda CB.900-F

Fast forward some 30-34 years later and I did via my 900-F Honda, with my daughter on the back, went right into the centre of the airfield**

** (or, rather what was left of it)

Back then, as a kid, I never knew or understood what 'Squadron-Codes' were, so, tracing the airfield then, was just wishful-thinking !

As an adult, I'd found-out that THIS box-top airfield plane, had the codes 'EX-L', which denoted 199.Sqdn, therefore 100-Group.

Amazingly, the Control-Tower (RAF Watch Office), is still in existence & is amazingly enough, used for "Bed & Breakfast"

(It's at North Creake, in North Norfolk, on the B.1355 not far from Walsingham)

The Short Stirling often gets a 'rough-ride' from critics, mainly due to it's "short" (no pun intended) wingspan, thereby lacking "ceiling".

However, folks often also 'overlook' it's importance, during D-DAY 6th June 1944, plus Arnhem, plus, later, Operation Varsity (Crossing the Rhine)

Those THREE alone, make it damn-important, as a warplane AND as a 'participant'

Combine those with 'Minelaying' AND it's inclusion in the World's FIRST 1,000 Bomber Raid(s) & we have 'a winner' - (well, I do !)

Oh yeah, lastly......

It blew my mind, when I'd read numerous accounts, that it COULD out-turn an Me.110-G4 at sea-level, during & after 'Minelaying' operations.

I've even read of it (them), giving Hawker Hurricanes "a hard time" during fighter-affiliation excersices, over Long Sutton & Lincolnshire.

Pretty suave for a much maligned Bomber.

Contrary to popular belief, they DID NOT fly their last bombing missions in 1943, but flew their last (amazingly), in Dec' 1947 & Jan'/Feb' 1948**

(Mk.IV's - ALL were Ex-RAF Mk.IV's, the transport-version(s), which were sold, by Belgium, to Egypt, then, converted)

Anyways, here is the (far), more widely recognised RAF Bomber version, with which most folks are familiar..... (serving in an H.C.U)

Stirling_W7459_1651,,.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with MichaelMaltby, the P-47N would be a great "safe" choice. But, for some reason I've had a fascination with the Northrop XP-56. It just looks cool sitting there. None exist so it would be the only one of it's kind. I'd add 'fly-by-wire' to improve the flying qualities.

1597678963204.png

'
Oh yeah, lastly......

It blew my mind, when I'd read numerous accounts, that it COULD out-turn an Me.110-G4 at sea-level, during & after 'Minelaying' operations.

I've even read of it (them), giving Hawker Hurricanes "a hard time" during fighter-affiliation excersices, over Long Sutton & Lincolnshire.

Well damn, I had no idea that big bird was that maneuverable, guess that's my fault for judging a book by its cover.

Only one aircraft allowed or three completely different ones?
If three:
- Kawasaki Hien for speed, agility, purity of lines and a wide track landing gear that should make ground handling soo much easier than a Spitfire or a 109. Many Hiens had bold and colourful paint schemes with lots of aluminium showing. Substitute the heavily framed canopy with a less cluttered one, get the engine reliable and you should get an aircraft that would not look out of place at the Reno air races, able to hold it´s own against most P-51s.
- CAC Boomerang. That stubby little fellow had some qualities of it´s very own and I liked it ever since I saw it in an Airfix catalogue about 1974.
- Grumman Gosling / Widgeon with the original in-line inverted engines (Ranger) for a charming go-anywhere aerial camper. Just pack up your gear, throw it into the aircraft and take a hop to somewhere in the middle of nowhere for a perfect time away. I know the Gosling is not everyone´s darling, but I just like it.

Last edited:
It would have to be a P-47 Razorback, like the one my friend Bill Hendrian flew with the 352nd FG, the Bluenosers.

I agree with MichaelMaltby, the P-47N would be a great "safe" choice. But, for some reason I've had a fascination with the Northrop XP-56. It just looks cool sitting there. None exist so it would be the only one of it's kind. I'd add 'fly-by-wire' to improve the flying qualities.

OK - of that XP triumvirate I would have to go for the Curtiss XP-55 Ascender. Or perhaps the proposed Jet-Ascender!

37289219_2053069368071677_6726903402493640704_n.jpg Escanear0011.jpg Curtiss_XP-55_Ascender_in_flight_061024-F-1234P-007.jpg

Jet-Ascender 1.jpgJet-Ascender 2.jpg

Do-335, just for the novelty...
Ok, so you have the finances and technical connections to have any single aircraft of WWII that actually existed during the war, built from the ground up, regardless of type or nationality - what would it be and why.

For me, it would be the He280 because it has a destinct 1930's look to it's design, it was a nimble and responsive aircraft and it was the world's first combat jet and no examples exist, making it extremely rare.
P-47D ... bit of a Wolfpack fan.

'

Am saying this with NO 'National Bias' involved, nor intended - My choice would be the Short Stirling

Why ?

Because it's a massive, massive 'Beast' and just like the Dinosaurs that went before it - IT's EXTINCT !!!!!!!

Have ALWAYS been pretty obsessed with it, since I was a child & I built my very first 1/72nd scale AIRFIX STIRLING, circa 1971

This led-on to building another, this time BETTER & to be honest, I became obsessed with the Roy Cross Box-Artwork !

As a child, I'd dream of 'visiting THE airfield' on the box

Hornchurch's 1979 Honda CB.900-F

Fast forward some 30-34 years later and I did via my 900-F Honda, with my daughter on the back, went right into the centre of the airfield**

** (or, rather what was left of it)

Back then, as a kid, I never knew or understood what 'Squadron-Codes' were, so, tracing the airfield then, was just wishful-thinking !

As an adult, I'd found-out that THIS box-top airfield plane, had the codes 'EX-L', which denoted 199.Sqdn, therefore 100-Group.

Amazingly, the Control-Tower (RAF Watch Office), is still in existence & is amazingly enough, used for "Bed & Breakfast"

(It's at North Creake, in North Norfolk, on the B.1355 not far from Walsingham)

The Short Stirling often gets a 'rough-ride' from critics, mainly due to it's "short" (no pun intended) wingspan, thereby lacking "ceiling".

However, folks often also 'overlook' it's importance, during D-DAY 6th June 1944, plus Arnhem, plus, later, Operation Varsity (Crossing the Rhine)

Those THREE alone, make it damn-important, as a warplane AND as a 'participant'

Combine those with 'Minelaying' AND it's inclusion in the World's FIRST 1,000 Bomber Raid(s) & we have 'a winner' - (well, I do !)

Oh yeah, lastly......

Contrary to popular belief, they DID NOT fly their last bombing missions in 1943, but flew their last (amazingly), in Dec' 1947 & Jan'/Feb' 1948**

(Mk.IV's - ALL were Ex-RAF Mk.IV's, the transport-version(s), which were sold, by Belgium, to Egypt, then, converted)

Anyways, here is the (far), more widely recognised RAF Bomber version, with which most folks are familiar..... (serving in an H.C.U)

View attachment 592088
They should have made a Stirling II with wide wingspan.

I would have to go with a Spitfire. Beauty, Elegance, Class all in one.
Not an easy choice with so many excellent planes in their own right. Someone mentioned a second a Stuka - what a marvel of engineering. A complete vertical dive with air brakes to pull pilots out of certain death. Just bought this model from Hasegawa. Can't wait.

Fieseler Storch, I imagine flying one of these would be like a fun afternoon on a Honda motorbike.
View attachment 592384
The last plane out of Berlin, flown by the female pilot Hanna Reitsch to rescue Hitler, who refused to leave. General Montgomery used one as his personal aircraft. Here's Air Vice Marshal Harry Broadhurst and his Storch, Italy, 1943.

Air_Vice_Marshal_Broadhurst_in_his_Fi_156_Italy_c1943.jpg

Speaking of lesser known twins like the Whirlwind, I would not mind a DH Hornet. First flown in 1944, so still WW.2 . Clean lines, fast and superb flying qualities, as highly praised by legendary test pilot Eric Brown.- Read the wikipedia about it!
Having preferred to choose a profession which gives me lots of social satisfaction (I work with handicapped children), but a modest income, I have to contend with building models of all those aircraft I dream of.

Last edited:
Having preferred to choose a profession which gives me lots of social satisfaction (I work with handicapped children), but a modest income, I have to contend with
You are to be commended for your vocation.
And like many of us here on the forums, money is tight, which is why this thread lets us dream big! :thumbleft:

Speaking of lesser known twins like the Whirlwind, I would not mind a DH Hornet. First flown in 1944, so still WW.2 . Clean lines, fast and superb flying qualities, as highly praised by legendary test pilot Eric Brown.- Read the wikipedia about it!
Having preferred to choose a profession which gives me lots of social satisfaction (I work with handicapped children), but a modest income, I have to contend with building models of all those aircraft I dream of.
Nice. I suggest the Sea Hornet variety with its convenient folding wings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back