Which WWII aircraft would you choose?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A minor question, what powerplants would you use? Original, or more up to date(this is, afterall, financed by a blank signed check)

Wow,. There's no way it could be just one.
I'll start with the illustrious A5M4. I love the sleek little Claude.
Then the stubby I-153. This plane was quite nimble.
The awesome He 115 is something I have loved for years.
Then there's the HS 129 tank-buster.
A sweet rarity is the Fw187 Falce
Finally, my all time favorite of the Second world war is the P-47D razorback. What can I say, my tastes are eclectic.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'd lean toward the Allison T56 turboprop instead of trying to recreate the DB603 engines.
Pretty funny how'd you be dropping a couple of hundred pounds in engine weight and gaining it all back in the propeller!

(I've often wondered if a PT6 with a gearbox reduction to handle a something like an old 11 foot or so Hamilton Standard would be an efficient set-up.)

Since we're allowed to have fun with this? Let's cancel the orders for the C-54 and the On Mark, I hereby place my purchase order for a derated PW127 powered Do335B with the fuselage widened and pressurized to accommodate three of my friends.

Pretty funny how'd you be dropping a couple of hundred pounds in engine weight and gaining it all back in the propeller!
Reliability and power would be the main concerns.
The BV238 weighs nearly twice that of a B-29 (or a C-130) and was originally equipped with the limited production DB603G, which produced a max. rating of 1,874 hp versus the T56's max. of 5,912 (shaft) hp.

Plus, parts and maintenance would be much easier with the Allison.

I do it in my fantasies too, but in public, I am still squeamish about replacing engines with altogether different types of engines. In this case I would spend tens of millions to re-engineer my Jumo 213 and build a few of them. I want the look (with the cowling open even), sound and smell right.

Resp:
Yes, thankfully there are several airworthy P-47G razorbacks out there. Just haven't seen one at any air shows.

Performance would be a bit more sprightly.

Users who are viewing this thread