Which WWII aircraft would you choose?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another option would be the B-17 equipped with the Fulton Surface to Air Rescue System or STARS, better known as SKYHOOK, as featured in the James Bond movie "Thunderball."

Reason: let's say you are at a party, and it is boring. you simply use your wrist radio to call your plane. You deploy the helium balloon with the snare from a secret compartment in your tux, which of course has a built-in harness, and next thing you know, you are sailing through the air on the way to a better party.
Thunderball Skyhook scene - low res

Stick a fake turret on top and call it a war bird ;)
View attachment 592790
Tried to get a buddy of mine to buy one of those "quite a few" years ago.

A company I worked for owned a tri-gear 250. Not this one! (Credit the Dee Howard Foundation)
Howard-Aero-Howard-250-Tri-Gear-0001.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so you have the finances and technical connections to have any single aircraft of WWII that actually existed during the war, built from the ground up, regardless of type or nationality - what would it be and why.

For me, it would be the He280 because it has a destinct 1930's look to it's design, it was a nimble and responsive aircraft and it was the world's first combat jet and no examples exist, making it extremely rare.
That's a tough one! It comes down to either the FW-190 A5 or the A6M3 Zero for me :)
Both are timeless designs that have their flaws wn unique flight characteristics. If I had to go to war in it I would likely the choose the 190, if I just was going to fly it for fun it would be the A6M3. If it was to look at... both 😂

Fw189 seems to have a good reputation, from its pilots, from what I've read. Handling, sturdiness, visibility, take-off and landing characteristics.

I may have posted on this thread before, but thinking about it rationally. For M-F flying back and forth to the office, this:
618caee627e0a7d92d40b8eeba683703.jpg

unnamed-6.jpg

For weekend camping, photo or fishing trips or runs to the hardware store, this:
Arado_Ar_232B-0_RAE.jpg

and for keeping in the garage as a father son project and an occasional tear around the block, this:
napier-heston-racer-left.jpg

setn4_0039_q.jpg

I currently have three cars in my garage, why can't I have three planes in my hangar. And, yes I nominated the Heston as one of the worst planes, but it looks too cool not to admire. Besides, old Ferraris are troublesome and break down a lot too.

Last edited:
The Lockheed Constellation was a really good looking plane.

Agreed; easily the prettiest of the piston airliners. Arguably though, the DC-6/DC-7 were better at the job of being airliners.

----

There are probably hundreds of different WW2 aircraft I wish were in flying, or even museum, condition, from trainers, like the N3N to what may have been the apex of Republic's piston-engined aircraft, the Republic Rainbow. I'd like to see some of the aircraft from countries other the US, UK, and Germany.

Is there a flyable N3N? They weren't retired from service until 1961.

Favorite planes are: F4U, Fw190D-9, Hawker Tempest V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back