Which WWII Axis nation produced most dangerous pilots?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chiron

Airman 1st Class
Feb 17, 2005
I heard someone said that US pilots, who participate in both European and Pacific theatures, believed Japanese were the most fearsome opponents in comparison with their German counterparts.

well yes the japaneese earnt themselfs a fearsome reputation, they we not just fighting for thier homeland, they had centuries of traditions to uphold..........

Possibly...

I know that the Japanese were not as disciplined in the air as the Germans were. They tended to fight individually and lacked tactical teamwork. Comments?!?

The way of the warrior.

The Germans had a certain warrior code to uphold too. Prussian military history was rich with victory, the Great War was the first loss they'd suffered in over 100 years. I'm sure the Luftwaffe had a certain standard to live up to. I certainly know that German General Staff Officers did.

All that is null and void anyway, we all know the Romanian pilots were the most dangerous Axis pilots. :lol:

He has a good point. The Finnish were remarkable pilots (and army for that matter). Their lack of effective equipment really made them much less dangerous than they should have been.

plan_D said:
He has a good point. The Finnish were remarkable pilots (and army for that matter). Their lack of effective equipment really made them much less dangerous than they should have been.

Yep - would have to agree - just think "Brewster Buffaloes?!?" and look what they did with them!!! :shock:

They shot down seven Mk.V Spitfires with those Buffaloes! Admittedly, VVS pilots weren't the best the in world... ;)

plan_D said:
They shot down seven Mk.V Spitfires with those Buffaloes! Admittedly, VVS pilots weren't the best the in world... ;)

I said it before, too bad the Finns didn't give combat training to the Marines stationed at Midway :shock:

Those French things...I can't remember but they look like a squashed squared Hurricane... ;) :lol:

They also used Blenheims. And some Bi-plane...maybe the Gladiator but I can't quite remember...

http://hkkk.fi/~yrjola/war/faf/ww2air.html

The most important fighters available during the Continuation War (1941-1944) were Brewster B-239 ("Buffalo"), Messerschmitt Bf 109G, Morane-Saulnier MS 406, Curtiss 75A (P-36) and Fiat G.50.

http://www.geocities.com/acrawford0/Finn.html

That's an awesome site on the FAF. And they did use Gladiators!

Four units operated the Gladiator during its service with the Finns, these were;

LeLv.12 Flew 67 sorties without loss.

LeLv.14 flew 34 sorties, claimed 3 victories and lost 1 Gladiator.

TleLv.16 flew 2,000 sorties, claimed 1 victory and lost 10 Gladiators.

LLv.26 flew 600 sorties, claimed 30 victories and lost 13 Gladiators.

No, they never came anywhere near a Hurricane Mk.I. The only Hurricanes they came near were Hurricane Mk. IIBs and IICs and that was only to shoot them down 'cos they were Soviet. :lol:

I see none of you can read. Scroll up a bit, I've given you two sites and a list of the most important fighter types in the FAF. The list clearly states Bf-109G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back