‘While Jews serve in my army I will not allow their deportation’

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting discourse on the subtleties of semantics.

Let's look at it from a different angle: many of you served in uniform and follow some branch of the Christian faith. Does that you are Christian soldiers. Or are you soldiers who are also/happen to be Christian?

Was the Jewish Brigade a brigade of the Jewish faith, or was a brigade for followers of the Jewish faith?

Are these men defined first as soldier, or first by their faith?

Can a Jewish Brigade include Christians? Can Christians be in a brigade of Jews?

Re-reading Timppa's first post, it sounds like the ones in the Finnish Army were Jews first and Finns second, so in this case we have Jewish Soldiers.

The same can be asked of soldiers. Why is it always "Nazi soldiers"? Were they all Nazis? Were von Treskow and Von Stauffenberg Nazis? On the other hand, were all Americans "Democrat Soldiers"? All UK soldiers "Conservative Soldiers"?

Do politics and/or religion really have a place in how a combatant is defined. Why Does it have to be Nazi/Democrat/Conservative German/American/Brit? What's wrong with just German or American or British? Why this need for a second word? Is it because of the special circumstances of the war against the Third Reich? Is it simply a means to denigrate an enemy soldier in a more polite way than calling them Kraut or Gook or Frog?

Man, I have been force-fed way too much philosophy in school this semester....

Some of the officers in the Jewish Brigade were British and I think the Brigadier was Canadian, most of the other ranks were Palestine Jews. I think the Jewish Brigade was organised like a colonial force.
British troops voted heavily in favour of the Labour Party at the end of World War Two and while I am happy to be mistaken for being Jewish I wouldn't be happy to be mistaken for a Tory.

In the ranks of the regular German military, you had Germans of all walks of life. Sure there were Nazis, but not all. Same goes for American troops, you had Jews, Christians, Athiests...people from all walks of life.

Same can be said for the Finns, Poles, English, Russians and so on. Everyday people who had thier own religious and political ideas, worried about thier family and buddies and wanted an end to the war so they could go home.

So basically, the Jews that served in the Finnish army were Finns that happened to follow Judiasm. Just like the Jews that served under the Kaiser in WWI were Imperial German Soldiers that happened to follow Judiasm.

Exactly my point.

This thread is getting confusing. I think when we Finnish we ought to take a Pole.

If I remember correctly, I do believe that to be a member of the Luftwaffe, you were not allowed to be a party member - or at least it wasn't a requirement.

There were Nazi party members in the Luftwaffe.

The notable ones that come to mind at the moment are Nowotny, Rudel and Milch.

Milch and Nowotny were NSDAP members, but Rudel wasn't. Rudel was a member of the Allgemeine SS.

If I remember correctly, I do believe that to be a member of the Luftwaffe, you were not allowed to be a party member - or at least it wasn't a requirement.

Members of the Wehrmacht were not allowed to be affiliated with a political party in any way in the early years. Naturally, as the war progressed things changed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back