Who is the best actor in a War Movie? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You know I dont remember ever watching Crimson Tide either. I am sure I have and just dont remember it.

ok i didn't know where else to post this so here goes, word on the street has it that there's possible plans for a new Dambusters film! a modern colour version with computer graphics left, right and centre, personally i feel that the original is a classic and to make a better version would be impossible, however i'd be very interested to see their efforts, and it's a britsh plan so it won't be all americanised, hopefully...........

He has a point Les. If Hollywood were to make the movie, Ben Assfleck would be the pilot, Freddie Prinz Junior would be the navigator and they would be flying a B-24 on the mission and there would be Japanese pilots flying the Bf-109's. :lol:

one of the bigger problems however is one of the most simple- as many of you will know Guy Gibson's dog was called nigger, and the dog plays a large part in the film, nigger was also the codeword for a successfull breaching of one of the dams, i doubt they'd get away with saying nigger these days but it's factually correct? so what do they do?

I personally think that "Battleground" (1949, Directed by William A. Wellman) is the best depiction of American GIs in combat ever. It graphically tells the story of a US 101st Airborne squad trapped in the besieged city of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. I think the dialogue, and especially the use of M1 (Garand) rifles, is very realistic. It is a gritty film that depicts very well the way combat soldiers acted and talked. I think it is commendable that every passage of conversation is not laced with the "F" word as is the case with many recent movies. That is not the way GIs in general talked in combat during WW2 and Korea as I remember it-- sure enough the conversation got salty at times and there were some uses of "F" word profanity too (but not in public and definitley not in the presence of females) -- but not to the extent it is used in some recent movies -- that kind of detracts from those films for me -- and also for my acquaintenances who are combat veterans of WW2 and Korea (see below).

We have a group of seven WW2/Korea combat veterans who meet for lunch once each month so we can swap war stories and cement our camaraderie. The youngest is aged 73 and the oldest 92 (USMC "Gunner" Kenton -- I have posted his story elsewhere) -- I am 77. We unanimously voted "Battleground" as our favorite (and most realistic) US combat film. Non of us are prudes -- in fact we are a salty bunch who have lived life to the hilt -- but we all agree that the gratuitous and constant use of the "F" word in many recent WW2/Korea movies does not reflect the way we talked during our military service.

I thought the employment of actual veterans of the 101st Airborne who fought in the Battle of the Bulge to train the actors -- and as extras in the movie -- was a great touch that really enhanced the realism of the film.

I am personally no great fan of Van Johnson, but he does a superb job as Pfc. Holley and James Whitmore as Sgt. Kinnie is outstanding. In fact, the whole cast is superb in this movie IMO.

It has been released in a VHS/DVD colorized version.

Information and review: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041163/

the lancaster kicks ass said:
Keep it in. Hell it means it wont be classified U and end up as a 15 or something but they better keep it

i hope they keep it too but you know what it's like with all this political correctness crap..........

Yeah...A viable solution could be changing it to negro. Thats just the spanish word for black, and has a crafty double meaning ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back