I wasn't saying that you did. However, it's a common refrain on this and other forums that "We can't trust the records of Germany/USSR/Japan (delete as appropriate) because they can't be correct/don't agree with other claim records/blatantly lied about reporting losses (again, delete as appropriate)." One only has to look at the brouhaha that Dan Ford stirred up when he first published his book on the Flying Tigers by stating, categorically, that the AVG never actually fought against the Mitsubishi Zero and that the AVG's claims significantly exceeded records of Japanese losses. This wasn't a dig at you. I was simply recognizing a tendency in some quarters to disregard evidence that doesn't track with the individual's perceptions.
My post was driven in part by your statement that "So I have reasons to question the reliability of Soviet stats in general." That goes beyond the accuracy of claims and would include Soviet losses, hence why I made the point that we should review each dataset as discrete, with its own set of accuracy issues. We can't lump all Soviet records into the "unreliable/inaccurate" bucket, just was we can't put all the US/British/German records into the "reliable/accurate" bucket.
No problem, we can discuss or argue about everything - why not?
E.g. the Flying Tigers IIRC were not an official part of the USAAF - so even if they did over-claim it would not be under the supervision of the USA MoD but rather the KMT.
RAF pilots did claim aerial victories till 1941 in regards to having downed He 113's - an aircraft as you know which never crossed their path. So I think that mistaking an
aircraft for a Zero or a He 113 - doesn't out-rule they they have shot down some other aircraft. The malicious intend of simply lying isn't necessarily given IMO.
As for Hartmann - deviating 60% of his claims can't be IMO just be explained by "human errors" on his side - but it would to a large extend imply malicious intend.
I have never met the man, but I have also not heard of such "rumors" cruising around him in general at the new Luftwaffe - aside from the Capito fellow who had held such
speeches at the Airbase cantina. But the general view from ex. WW2 pilots, that Luftwaffe air-victory claims deviate 20-30% from reality especially in regards to propaganda
favorites is known to me since the late 70's.
As such if I would come up upon a list that would lead to the conclusion of someones claims deviating by 60% - I would rather make damn sure that this list is absolutely profound excluding the realistic possibility that these records or record doesn't reflect the truth either.
Before making a person/pilot look like a malicious liar. The same goes for the forwarding of this acquaintance of mine who "discovered" that Soviet night-fighter claims (aerial victories) are 99.7% fantasy. But I have to wait for his book - in order to get a maybe very different opinion in that matter.
Quote:
His spectacular rate of kills raised a few eyebrows even in the Luftwaffe Command his claims were double- and triple-checked, and his performance closely monitored by an observer flying in his formation.
Quote:
I must say that during the war I never disobeyed an order, but when General Seidemann ordered Graf and me to fly to the British sector and surrender to avoid the Soviets, with the rest of the wing to surrender to the Soviets, I could not leave my men. That would have been bad leadership
This and other showings of his character (including never bowing to Soviet/NKWD coercion) just doesn't add up to a person who supposedly lied his way through kill claims in such
an extend.
E.g. maybe you are aware of this already:
Soviet historian, Dimitri Khazanov, has attempted to prove that Hartmann did not score anywhere near 352 victories. Khazanov quoted Hartmann having shot down 70-80 Soviet aircraft. However, Khazanov has been heavily criticised by aviation historians such as Jean-Yves Lorant and Hans Ring for faulty research. Ring and Lorant both point out that the missions that Khazanov tried to use to prove Hartmann's claims as false were riddled with false and misleading information. For example, Khazanov claimed that on a mission on 20 August 1943, Hartmann claimed two victories west of Millerovo but not a single Soviet aircraft was lost. German records show not a single claim was made in that area. Hartmann's victories were recorded east of Kuteinikowo, some 160 kilometres away. On 29 May 1944, Khazanov claimed Hartmann reported three La-5s shot down over Roman. This was also false. Hartmann claimed a single P-39 over Lasi. Hans Ring said that Khazanov's only goal in compiling his article was to discredit Hartmann and his record.
So to me it all comes back to checking upon the validity of stats (no matter from which side and source) - before publishing such "headline making" statements which in turn only
serve in majority one obvious purpose. $$$
Regards
Jagdflieger