Why did the Allies call Luftwaffe pilots "bandits"? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

João Yazalde

Airman
Apr 25, 2022
Many times I have heard phrases like "bandits, 6 o'clock!" or "one bandit less" pronounced by americans, belgians, czechs and British.

Enemies, criminals, murderers. But a bandit is someone who steals what belongs to others, with violence, but a thief, at least as far as I know.

Last edited:
Back in the 1930s and 1940s, radio communication was often difficult and words were used that could be easily understood without needing clarification.

"Bandit" was one such word that couldn't be confused with another.
So if your radio was a bit off frequency or you had alot of background noise (ither static or even droning of engine), you could still make out the word and understand immediately what it meant.

It was common on both sides to use code words for enemy aircraft. I don't know where or how the word "bandit" originated but such identifiers would become necessarily entrenched for clear radio communication during combat. The Germans used "dicke Autos" (Fat Cars) and "Indianer" (Indians) for enemy bombers and fighters, respectively.
Thanks

... But a bandit is someone who steals what belongs to others, with violence ...

Actually the meaning can be correct as well. The Nazi Germans invaded Poland in 1939 stealing not only the freedom, independence of Poland using the violence. But also stole the life of hundreds of thousands of the Poles, the Jews and other people from other nations. Additionally, they started stealing , also destroying, all Polish historical and cultural goods, paintings, sculptures , precious items etc ... about the gold, silver or gems I don't mention at all. They were doing that later in France, Belgium, Holland, USSR and all other invaded and occupied countries. The Nazi Luftwaffe pilots were involved in many crimes too. Let's mention Guernica, Warsaw only. So no wonder they were called with the nickname.

Back in the 1930s and 1940s, radio communication was often difficult and words were used that could be easily understood without needing clarification.

So if your radio was a bit off frequency or you had alot of background noise (ither static or even droning of engine), you could still make out the word and understand immediately what it meant.
At the outbreak of war the RAF were still using booster transmitters and specially selected clearly speaking staff in soundproof rooms, with the outbreak of war fitting of the best radios available at the time was done quickly, things changed rapidly as a glance in the modelling section shows, there were constant changes to the radios and aerials at the time.

Actually the meaning can be correct as well. The Nazi Germans invaded Poland in 1939 stealing not only the freedom, independence of Poland using the violence. But also stole the life of hundreds of thousands of the Poles, the Jews and other people from other nations. Additionally, they started stealing , also destroying, all Polish historical and cultural goods, paintings, sculptures , precious items etc ... about the gold, silver or gems I don't mention at all. They were doing that later in France, Belgium, Holland, USSR and all other invaded and occupied countries. The Nazi Luftwaffe pilots were involved in many crimes too. Let's mention Guernica, Warsaw only. So no wonder they were called with the nickname.
You're right, I just hadn't seen it from that angle. I am more used to Germans being called "invaders". It can be said that the invasion was a robbery, but the historical sources do not stop to reflect on the moral aspect of the facts. It is curious that although the invasion of Poland was what caused the second world war (in Europe) people do not think much about it, almost all the emphasis of the war in Europe is centered on the invasion of France, the battle of Britain and the Blitz.

If you think of the world-wide popularity of American Western movies, it seems highly plausible that the term "bandits" is an allusion to the common trope of train-robbers etc. coming down the hillside on horseback to attack the train, wagon train, etc. Fighters on an attack run would likely look similar, but a lot faster.

Yes, "Bandit" was a quick, concise word for "enemy aircraft". No need at that point of going into detail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back